Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got $ to spend, what router and base do you recommend?

Well I looked into all the routers and decided to go with the Hitachi. The 3 1/4 hp will be nice to use with a table. The price was a big factor since it was $100 less than the Bosch. I wish it came with a fixed base also but I think most of the work I will do with it will be on the table.

I also found this router table top im going to get. I am going to build a cabinet for it. Which is better than buying an already built one.

I will post a pic here of the table when its all done. Thanks for the help guys!

Robert,

Looks good.

Just two last things to consider with he Hitachi which I dont think came up.

First, in order for the big bits to fit through the base you'll have to cut off the tangs which hold the bushings...and after doing that you wont have anything to attach the bushings to (although I think you can get a Pat Warner base for it)

Second, make sure you are happy with using the Hitachi's built in height adjustment. If you end up not liking it you'll spend more money in the long run because you'll need to buy a lift.

Some of the more expensive 3hp routers come with a height mechanism which work great. Some of the 2.25hp do as well. I think I've read that the Hitachi's is only adequate but I have no experience with that model. Maybe someone else can comment on it.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

3. I know this is an old post ... I've been searching for answers .... Just checking if you could tell me how to seat the motor unit in the plunge base on the Makita RF1101.

TIA !
    Charlie

I only use 4 of my routers but I have another couple cheap ones. Two motors are PC690s and I have 4 bases for them. That lets me leave a couple in router table setups and still have a couple for hand held use. The 89X are the more modern versions. Right now, none of my routers has variable speed. That isn't a big deal because I have a separate speed control that I can use on any of them. I have a bigger router for the router table (the Hitschi mentioned above would be good for this) and a smaller Bosch Colt for little chamfers and round overs.

I would not start with a 15 amp plunge router. I agree it is a good deal but you will want to use your one router hand held and a 15A router is big for that usage. A plunge router also tends to be top heavy. I like a fixed base mid or small router for hand held use.

I'd get the Bosch or PC mid-sized set. It is the best way to start. You can put these routers in a router table, you just have to make an additional pass versus a 15A when your raising a panel or other heavy usage. For most things, a 10-12A router will do what a 15A model will. And they are easier to control hand held.

If this will be your first router, buy a mid sized router and get a multi base package. A 2-2 1/2 hp router is quite versatile. Powerful enough to handle most of the work you will likely want to do, yet light enough not to break your arms when using it. You should be looking for a variable speed router with soft start and both 1/4 and 1/2" collets. Stick with one of the better brands, like Bosch, Porter Cable, DeWalt, and Makita. I don't think Freud is selling routers any more.

Go where they sell several brands, look at all their features, hold each one and imagine using it, then pick the one that seems best for you. Weight and balance are important to me, but so is an easy to adjust depth stop or depth setting, and where the power switch is located in reference to where you hold onto it (I usually use a foot peddle switch, so I can turn it off while using both hands to hang onto the router). What style router bushings does it take? I like the 1 1/8 diameter bushings, so I look for a base plate with the 1 1/8 stepped hole designed to accept the Porter Cable style router bushings. Some routers have a very large hole in the base to accept a larger diameter bushing held in with two screws. They seem to work OK. I just prefer the smaller ones that are more commonly used. You will have to decide this yourself. How is the collet tightened and loosened, one wrench or two? Some routers have a shaft lock and one wrench while others have no shaft lock and two wrenches. Still some others have a shaft lock, but you can still use two wrenches if you want to. I have all three versions, but prefer using two wrenches, if I can.

A router fence and router bushing set are some great accessories to consider that will help you make good use of your router and the fixed and plunge bases will let you do many different tasks with your router. You can even mount it in a router table and it will perform very well for most everything you will want to do. My first router table was a piece of 3/4 plywood with a hole in it for the bit to come through, plus holes for mounting the router. My fence was a 2 X 4 with a notch in it to go around the bit, and two C clamps. I attached A piece of 2 X 4 to the under side of one edge of the plywood that I would clamp in my bench vise when I wanted to use the router table. You can learn to make many jigs that will help you use your router for many different functions. A jig to use my first router to make mortises for floating tenons that I made on my table saw was s significant help to me. Hinge mortising with a router jig and mortising bit significantly speed up hinge installation. Circle cutting with a router and circle cutting jig is also of great use. I could go on, but i'll leave the rest to your and your router. There are many good books about building router jigs.

You are also going to need router bits. I think the 10 or 11 bit basic carbide bit sets now being offered with 1/2" shank are the best choice for someone new to routing. They contain the bits that you will most frequently want when just starting out. Later you can buy bits as you need them for more involved projects. Buy a good brand and you will likely have them for years.

A router is a very versatile tool and it will take some time to learn all that it can do. Start this journey with a good quality multi base router and a basic set of good quality bits and they will quite likely last you many trouble free years. I still have and use my first router. It was a very good quality router when I bought it and it's over 50 years old and still running well, but I now have 12 routers of different sizes, brands, and capabilities. The most used of these routers are the routers of the 2 - 2 1/2 hp size with multiple bases. Three of them are DeWalt DW618 routers, two of these are 3 base kits and one is a 2 base kit. The other routers are both larger and smaller than these. Be careful, routing is very addicting, and I'm a long time router addict.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 02-17-2017 at 8:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    Are most router bases compatible with most routers? Or are they brand specific?
    Brand specific.

If this is your only/first router, I also recommend you consider one of the great two or three base kits with 12 amp (~2.5hp) router motors as the place to start. And yes, there are some operations where I find a fixed and/or D-handle base to be the best choice. Later, a heavy router dedicated to table use is a good choice to make while keeping the more maneuverable "kit" setup for general hand-held routing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know this is an old post ... I've been searching for answers .... Just checking if you could tell me how to seat the motor unit in the plunge base on the Makita RF1101.
    I suggest you start a new thread asking how to seat the base. It appears your question has been lost in the shuffle....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon