Thread: What Air Compressor?

What Air Compressor?

My old compressor has started kicking its internal fuse so I am looking at options. I have read about one made by a company named Eaton that is supposed to be pretty good and quiet as well. I've also checked into Ingersoll-Rand and they seem pretty good but I have no real favorites. Does anybody have any recommendations. I'm looking for something big enough to do any kind of spraying including things like sandblasting and prefer it to be somewhat quiet. I'm thinking 60-80 gallon tank, definitely with oil, and probably 3+ hp.

Eddie

I went IR. 60 gallon. 3hp. Reasonable price...on sale from Tractor Supply at the time for about $500.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Jim. I will check TSC out. All I could find locally was an industrial distributor. IR seems about as good as they get. How quiet is yours? Probably going to have to build a closet for it and my DC anyway.

Eddie

Eddie,

I have IR also. 5hp 80gal (18+ cfm). To give you an idea, it'll fill the 80gal tank from 0psi to 130psi shutdown in right around 4 minutes.
    It'll run my HVLP's, plasma cutter, sand blaster, air impacts/sanders/etc.

The sandblaster definitely uses the most air. I don't know what you have but mine is a TIP pressurized blaster that holds about 100lbs sand/media and can use either 1/8" or 3/16" nozzles. It eats the cfm, especially when the ceramic nozzles start to wear larger. If yours is anything like that, look for good cfm.

I don't know if i'd exactly call it quiet, but it is much quieter than oilless.

cheers

I have one of Eaton's compressors. It is the 7 1/2 hp 2 stage 80 gallon horizontal. I picked it up at their facility on a trip through Ohio. It provides me with plenty of air for painting, sanding, running a cutoff tool, air drill, and die grinder. It is fairly quiet. I have had it about 4 years, and am pleased with it.

I have the IR 80 gal compressor. I got mine on sale from TSC for $479 at the time and I love this compressor.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Watkins View Post
    My old compressor has started kicking its internal fuse so I am looking at options.

Eddie
    Well one option is to replace the motor on this one. The compressor head may be fine (or cheaply repairable). But this may be an option to exercise AFTER the CFO (LOYL) approves the new compressor expenditure.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have one of the smaller IR’s - a 30 gal portable unit. I’m very happy with it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

One thing you should consider is that the compressor may be just fine and the problem is a defective fuse/breaker which might be only a $10 item. If they are still available, you might consider replacing it.