Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop demo on Ask This Old House

Saw Stop demo on Ask This Old House

I know we all get this program at various times on a variety of PBS stations but -- yesterday on KOCE, the Orange County (CA) station, Tom Silva demonstrated the Saw Stop in action. It was part of a "how to use a table saw safely" segment. Fortunately, I happened to be taping the program so I could view it again. WOW! BANG! The blade dropped, the saw stopped, and he didn't even nick the hot dog. What a great promotion for the Saw Stop.

Either that or really tough hot dogs! What does it cost every time a blade crashes in one of them sawstops?

So then the saw is so wimpy that it can't cut a hot dog? Not even a vienna sausage?

Hmmm.

EEK! Here we go again.

Peter... About $70 bucks for a brake on the high side and a blade. I have read that the blades aren't always completely dead but they can be reused after a sharpening and quality inspection.

On a unrelated note I have seen what they use to make hotdogs and it isn't coming anywhere near me. Nothing but Brats for this one.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Plonk.

I so wish that we could have an adult discussion about this topic, since it matters to me

I watched one demo'd at the Toronto Woodshow in early March. I had heard all the hype...any way at High Noon on the Friday we all gathered round....the Saw Stop rep was very aggresive about how he slide the hot dog into the blade, just like it might happen if you were using the saw and your hand slipped.....well BANG it stoped cold and barely a nick on the hot dog, WOW...That was very impressive.

In speaking with the staff at LV I know the stores shops have also all been outfitted with Saw Stop's...
    Take care,
    Jim

5K is a lot of money for a table saw.... Makes me think of a story... I was begining to learn to fly an acrobatic routine. I went to a parachute shop to price them. The guy looked me strait in the face and told it it would set me back $2000.00!!!!! for the cheapest one they had. I couldn't phatom paying that much. Didn't think I had the money. Then the guy said " sure would be a shame falling to earth with $2000.00 in the bank." Guess that goes for the SawStop " Sure would be a shame to carry your fingers to the emergency room in a plastic bag with 5K in the bank....
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Williams View Post
    Plonk.

I so wish that we could have an adult discussion about this topic, since it matters to me
    I think ALL discussions had better be "adult" from here on out. Evidentally, most folks didn't read the Admin's "shot across the bow" sticky'd at the beginning of the forum.

Question Is the safetey still active after the saw is shut off? I mean when the blade is coasting to a stop after the stop botton is pushed will the blade still stop when touched by a hot dog. At this point I almost had a serious happening. Thanks Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roest View Post
    Question Is the safetey still active after the saw is shut off? I mean when the blade is coasting to a stop after the stop botton is pushed will the blade still stop when touched by a hot dog. At this point I almost had a serious happening. Thanks Jack
    YES...it will activate the brake.

Let's play nice guys, SawStop tends to be a little touchy for some people. Let's keep our comments objective, and let's not get offended by a slight criticism. All tools have goods and bads we are tool users and as such have our preferances, let's not make it personal. Any criticism of the SS should not be taken as a personal offense, by the same token if you don't like the tools or the price of it just say so, no need to make remarks about the owners of such tools.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 04-16-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roest View Post
    The brake is set up to be turned off only after the blade has stopped spinning for one second.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Spencer, just give it a rest, please.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Tommy did his thing here about 4 weeks ago. Pretty impressive.
    I have and old Cman that won't cut through o hot dog or a push stick
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Keysan View Post
    Nice thing about a push stick, is that you can actually saw through it and it will still work afterwards. And even if too much was cut off, you can make another one for free. And ohh...you dont have to replace your $100 carbide blade or pay someone to get the it working again.

It's a bloody table saw! I honestly don't understand why people feel the need to trash the saw when they have never used one. If you have specific issues with the Sawstop, why don't you discuss those?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-16-2007 at 2:43 PM. Reason: Edited to remove personal attack