Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zambus on MM16 - That's the way Uh Huh Uh Huh, I Like It - Uh Huh Uh Huh

Zambus on MM16 - That's the way Uh Huh Uh Huh, I Like It - Uh Huh Uh Huh

I just got a set of Zambus casters underneath my MM16 about an hour ago, and man are they sweet. After ditching the factory Johnson Bar setup, I went with a Delta mobile base for about a year (see this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10507 ). It worked way better than the Johnson bar from a stability standpoint but I still didnt think it rolled on my somewhat uneven shop floor very smoothly. It would occasionally hang up in spots. Between posts here and on the MM Users Group forum, I'd been reading a lot of glowing posts on the Zambus casters and decided to go fer it. They showed up a couple of days ago and got them installed today. The hardest part by far was getting the saw off the Delta base. Got some help from a neighbor to get the MM16 up on blocks and slid off the Delta. After that it was a one man show. Removing the blocks was easy after turning the caster adjusters all the way up. In addition to the smaller footprint (no surrounding mobile base) it also raised the table higher, which is nice. Haven't measured to find out how much higher - it's probably only a couple inches higher but it feels like a lot more. With the footpads lowered, the saw aint going nowhere. It's as solid as a rock. But rolling the saw is incredibly smooth, even on my floor. Turns on a dime too, as all 4 wheels pivot rather than just the single pivot that the Johnson Bar or Delta base had.

No pics yet to prove this happened though. It's windy here today and the saw just kept rolling out of the viewfinder every time a gust came into the shop.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug...great job! Looking forward to seeing a picture of the setup. I would like to put them on my bandsaw as well!

Here's a pic of the Zambus casters on my MM20. I also have a set on my Oneida DC stand and plan installing some on my MiniMax 410 Combo machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is awesome! Where do I get em? About what do they run?

I am sure you guys have read this but I laugh every time I read the MM20 manual and it states:

"See Figure 5 Below, Johnson Bar Placement. Note: Always be careful where you place your Johnson".

Now that is sound advice!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That's cool Doug. I'm looking forward to some detail pics of your setup. I still like the Delta MB under my MM, but I need to do something about my PM15's mobility!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You cant be serious

Does it really say that in the MM20 manual? If so, I wonder what happened when they found out that technical writer wrote that. Maybe the guy's name was Jim. Jim Shorts.

Chuck

Ok,

Doug,

I have read a lot on the MM forum about this. (super lurker)

I don't see why these won't work on any band saw.

With that said, here is the link to Zambus... http://www.zambus.com/index.htm

And the big question. Which ones did you use and why?

Also any issues with installation?

Trying to be helpful.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

I have the Zambus on my MM16. I used the AC300S model which threads right onto the leveling studs that the MM bandsaws ship with. The Zambus kit also includes replacement studs that work as well. The only installation issue that I had was in threading the studs through the saw base as the factory was a little generous with the powder coating. They work great.

Thanks Per...I googled Zambus and found the site...and then you took the questions out of my mouth...which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Londrigan View Post
    That is awesome! Where do I get em? About what do they run?
    About $35 each caster.

Talking Zambus MM20

I just got the AC-600 Type "S" series with the stud mount. As stated they just thread right on. I went with the 600 series cause bigger is better right LOL?

The "F" series has a flat mounting plate with four holes (9.5mm)for bolts. The "S" series has a single female M12 hole in the top. Mine came with the M12 studs, same as the levelers on the MM20. Website says M16 by special order available.

The BS rolls like a dream. A one handed operation. I am going to do some measuring and see which model I can get onto my 410 combo unit.

Great find. Thanks to someone here on SC.

Yep - I got the same one's Jeff recommended on the MM User Group - AC300S. The total with shipping was $151.35. The Delta 50-296 mobile base I had it on is $90 at Amazon. Just MHO, but the Zambus are worth the difference. I also had a little problem on two of the casters due to the same powdercoat problem that Jim mentioned. I did some measuring. From the floor to the bottom of the MM16, it's now 3.5" and will go maybe another inch when the footpads are adjusted down so it's stationary. The Delta had the saw raised off the floor about 3/4" or a bit more. So I'll take the midpoint of the adjusters and say I gained 3" on the table height. I'm 6'3" so the height gain is just icing on the cake. Here's a shot to prove it happened.
    Zambus1.jpg
    Use the fence Luke

I'm 6'7". I think I need those. May have to wait for my bday tho. I can just hear SWMBO now. You spent $150 on what?!?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    I'm 6'7". I think I need those. May have to wait for my bday tho. I can just hear SWMBO now. You spent $150 on what?!?
    At 6'7" maybe you should spend a bit more and get one of their bigger ones? I think they've got dimensioned drawings on their site if you wanted to try and shoot for a particular height increase. Course, it's gonna cost you more.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    If you get them, just wait till she sees where the charge was made. If I recall correctly, what showed up on my bill was from hair salon. This being the case SWMBO may not think the $150 is out of line.
    Steve