Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A finished project to report

Talking A finished project to report

Folks,

This is my second large project (the first was a 6 ft tall bookcase). The console table was designed to serve as a table close to our front door. The design is my own- although obviously inspired by those who have gone before. I was trying to achieve a fairly clean look with enough strength to be functional, while maintaining a delicate feeling. The wood choice may surprise some here- it is entirely constructed from poplar from Lowe's and Home Depot. Not necessarily the most popular choice for some- but my wife found a very dramatic board and decided that she wanted me to make the most of the colors in the board. So, the finish is fairly minimal too- a Minwax tung oil mix, finished off with wax.
    For those of you trying to get a feel for the scale here, the height is about 30", width a little longer than that, and depth is about 13 inches. Both the top and the shelf are edge jointed- with a lot of time spent on the top to get as good a grain match as possible- I was trying to make the natural color change in the wood flow as naturally as possible.
    The drawer is quite wide, and about 5 inches deep. The entire front apron and drawer are taken from one piece, cut and reglued to try and appear as one and acting as a tonal transition between the dark top of the table and the lighter wood used in the lower portion- with the darker color at the top of the apron fading to blend with the lighter colors in the legs and the shelf. Again, I was trying to use what the wood suggested, rather than forcing it into my design.
    The legs are jointed from two pieces to achieve the thickness I needed. I used my jointer to taper the legs below the shelf.
    Construction is pretty much all mortise and tenon . The breadboards on the top and the shelf are pinned on one fixed and two floating dowls positioned underneath. The top of the table has a 45 degree chamfer cut underneath to add continue the delicate theme of the entire piece.
    The drawer is assembled using 1/2 blind dovetails cut on a PC jig- they would have been hand cut, but I got the jig as part of a deal on a new PC router I needed after my Craftsman router collapsed 1/2 way through the project!
    I did not have a functioning planer when making this project, so all boards were finished to thickness with hand planes (I left the plane marks on the underside of the shelf and the top!). To bring out the finish as much as possible, I sanded to 320 grit before finishing.
    I'd welcome comments, constructive criticism, design feedback and any questions! Thanks for reading this far- and thankyou to all of you for all the help you have unwittingly provided to this project!

regards

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks wonderful Mike. The poplar really works there. I can see how you let the wood lead and the form followed.

Congratulations.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Very nice Mike. I really like the top. I would not have guessed that it was popular!

Jonathan

Very nice work Mike! I think I need one of those for my entry hall.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Wow! Another piece to take my breath away. That top is just gorgeous. Nice work!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Wonderful work. I like the way you let the wood help you design the piece.
    Alan
    Support SMC, become a Contributor.

well done Mike!! looks terrific!

Mike,

You have made poplar look like I have never quite seen it look. It turned out wonderful, I am sure your wife is grinning for ear to ear!

Kyle took the words right out of my mouth. The piece is very nicely built and the finish really shows it well. Nicely done.

Blog Entries
    Mike,

Great looking table and great looking dovetails....
    So many people think of poplar as a secondary work that they stay away from it. I have built several projects where I used poplar and they turned out very well. Enjoyed your pictures...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Nice work, Mike.

I think Poplar is an under-rated wood due to it being only slightly harder than pine, but it's very nice to work with and often has beautiful coloration and figure. I just finished a cabinet for my table saw blades from a hunk of poplar that had a vivid black streak in it.

I think you had a nice piece to work with, and brought out it's qualities very nicely!!
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

As said by others - fine work.
    Ken

I would never have guessed that was poplar. It looks great. Nice work.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

Very nice. Really like the colors.

Chuck

Very nice work!