Thread: Powder Post Beetles/BoraCare

Powder Post Beetles/BoraCare

I just finished constructing the frame for a desk I am building and the wood did have some Powder Post Beetle activity. After reading some articles of how to get rid of the pests I purchased a galon of BoraCare. I am constructing the desk in two parts: first I put together the front and side (rails, stiles, muntins, panels). I then treated the wood with the BoraCare product. Mynext step was to allow the product to dry and then I was to glue the front, back and sides together. Now I am running into a problem that I don't know how to handle. As I began to apply the glue to the sections I was to put together I noticed that the glue began to cure but would not stick to the wood. As soon as I noticed this I immediately removed all the glue. It was very easy because it coagulated and peeled right off. NOW!?!?!? Is there any one out there who ran into this problem and how did it work out?

Is the carrier in the termicide oil-based? That might be what's interfering with the gluing.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holub View Post
    I just finished constructing the frame for a desk I am building and the wood did have some Powder Post Beetle activity. After reading some articles of how to get rid of the pests I purchased a galon of BoraCare. I am constructing the desk in two parts: first I put together the front and side (rails, stiles, muntins, panels). I then treated the wood with the BoraCare product. Mynext step was to allow the product to dry and then I was to glue the front, back and sides together. Now I am running into a problem that I don't know how to handle. As I began to apply the glue to the sections I was to put together I noticed that the glue began to cure but would not stick to the wood. As soon as I noticed this I immediately removed all the glue. It was very easy because it coagulated and peeled right off. NOW!?!?!? Is there any one out there who ran into this problem and how did it work out?
    Richard:

Most powder post beetle treatments are comprised of boron containing compounds, such as borax and boric acid. No doubt, the product you used contains the same. As you have found, boron compounds act to complex with PVA adhesives. I'm assuming that you are using one of the many types of PVAs that we all have running around our shops.

Boron compounds will also react with phenol formaldehyde and urea formaldehyde adhesives. So I'd avoid both of those as well. You might try a polyurethane type adhesive. I'm not sure if the boron will react.

Best of luck!

Blake

Jamie, As Blake has posted, Bora Care does contain some type of Borax. The following is a quote from the Bora Care information sheet: "Bora-Care is a concentrated solution of sodium borate with aditives that facilitate rapid penetration of wood, regardless of moisture content".

Blake, I will take your advice and check on a polyurethane type of adhesive. I have taken two test pieces of white oak treated with BoraCare and I have applied a light and a heavy coat of polyurethane as a test for bonding to the wood. Just for curiosity I have also taken two other pieces of BoraCrae treated white oak and I have applied a coat of water base wood glue. I have then screwed both pieces together and I am letting them cure/dry. Tomorrow I will remove the screws and see if the glue still holds.
    Last edited by Richard Holub; 04-16-2007 at 2:16 PM.

I see several Boracare retailers on the net saying "A Bora-Care treatment is odorless, does not affect painting, staining or gluing and does not change the appearance of the wood." That the wording is identical on several sites suggests that it comes from the manufacturer. However, I haven't found that sentence on Nisus' site; they mostly have their information in PDFs, which I can't search easily.

Here's a quote from a US Forestry Service article:

"The ethylene glycol used in commercial [borate] preparations will evaporate in a short time. Thus the mixture will wet and briefly darken freshly treated wood. However, this discoloration will usually evaporate within a few days. After the glycol volatizes, the treatment will not affect subsequent painting, staining or the gluing of wood."

So maybe you should just let the work sit for a couple of days, and repeat the gluing test.

Jamie, I have read on the net and have talked to the owner of the company where I purchased the product BoraCare. You are right about BoraCare being odorless, paintable and stainable BUT I have not heard of it being "gluable". Also in ref. to the ethylene glycol, it did darken the wood somewhat but I have also noticed that the wood appears to be somewhat sticky such as the consistency of the BoraCare. The salesman told me that if there is any residue (stickiness) that would appear to be the BoraCare and a damp rag will wipe most of the surface. I tried it and seems to feel better but I am still waiting for my test results probably tomorrow.

So what's the result? Did waiting a couple of days make the gluing process work properly?

Results

OK, I first tried "Liquid Nail" Polyurethane Construction Adhesive. I applied the compound to two 1" oak boards previously treated with Bora Care. After 24 hrs. the glue did not hold.

I then tried "Titebond" Polyurethane glue. Again I placed the glue between two pieces of 1" oak and after 4 hrs. (curing time) the bond held.

One other thing I noticed is that now, several weeks after treating the wood with Bora Care, the wood appears to be dryier. I will still wipe down the oak with a damp rag just prior to using the "Titebond" glue. I believe that a small amount of moisture helps the polyurethane glue to get activated such as with "Gorilla" glue. I did not experiment withy "Gorilla" glue.

The surface of the wood appears to be totally dry and has gone back to the original lighter color of the oak. There are some spots within the grooves where the pannels fit and screw holes that have received more BoraCare and those areas are darker and still feel slightly sticky but that is on the inside of the desk.

I have retested using Titebond on my previous scrap boards of red oak. It is strongly holding. I guess I just had to wait a little longer for the Bora Care to dry prior to gluing. The Polyurethane "Liquid Nail" has hardened but does not stick well to the wood. No signs of Powderpost Beetle activity.