Thread: Plunge router question

Plunge router question

I have a Elu made by Black & Decker that has the on off switch & plunge release lever at the handles so you don't have to remove your hands from the handles to turn it on or off. I also have a Bosch came as a combo kit that I have to let go of one of the handles to turn it on or off. Are all dedicated plunge routers like the Elu made with the controls at the handles. I don't like removing my hand to turn it on or off.

This doesn't really answer your question. But I often use a footswitch to turn mine on/off. I've got the DW621 which I think may have a similar, if not identical switch on the handle? Even then, I find the slight startup torque can shift the router a hair. Maybe the switch activating muscles aren't the same as the router holding muscles? Anyway, the footswitch lets me concentrate on holding a router edge guide tight to the work and plunging it down without worrying about the little hand shift you have to do after turning it on. I'm just using a Delta air activated switch that I think is mostly sold as an accesory for their scroll saws but it works well for the router.
    Use the fence Luke

Jay,

Not all dedicated plungers have the power switch located on or near the handles, but many do. Also, with many of the kits, the reason for having the power switch on the motor housing is to simplify the design so the switch moves with the motor housing to whatever base you have it in.

As an example, I have:
    2 dedicated (Bosch and PC) plungers - power switch on handles
    1 dedicated plunger (old B&D) - power switch on motor
    2 PC kits and 1 Dewalt kit - switch on motor
    2 fixed base (Freud and Milwaukee)- switch on motor
    1 trim plunge router (Bosch)- switch on motor

For what it's worth, I generally prefer the switch on the handles as well. However, the startup torque problem is not so annoying with the new generation of softstart routers, so I don't mind the switch on the motor on those.
    Cheers