Thread: LV Medium Shoulder Plane?...WW Vise??

LV Medium Shoulder Plane?...WW Vise??

I posted this on the Power Tool Forum and I guess I should have posted it here first.

Does anybody here have the new Lee Valley Shoulder Plane? I am thinking about spending some Christmas money on one as well as a few other LV things.......

I would like to purchase my very FIRST real woodworkers VISE......any recommendations? Who has the best price on a vise like the Record 52-1/2? I am just now trying to figure out what all the various types of vises are for....? Shoulder vise, Front vise, Tail vise........etc...etc...etc. Instead of spending $100+ on a Record or Jorgensen vise.....would I be doing just as well to set up a FRONT VISE?

Lost and bewildered on vises......
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis,

I've got the Veritas shoulder plane and just love it. Unlike the traditional designs this is solid to set up and easy to use. It has an excellent fit to the hand and whispers off the shavings. I waited to purchase a shoulder plane when I first heard rumors of the Veritas and am glad I did. They have two more coming and I have them at the top of my wish list.

I don't have any good advise on vise. I have the Record and it works great, but a lot depends on the type of woodworking you do. For general the record is good, but I see some real advantages to the Veritas twin screw when I am handling large parts like chair seats. I would look at last years(?) Fine Woodworking Tools and Shops issue which did a whole article on bench history and design. One thing I would definitely consider is planning to include a bench dog system on your bench. I regret I didn't add one sooner. Good luck! Eric

I have a record vise, and I do use bench dogs with it. So far it works fine, but I, too, am just getting more into the Neanderthal end of WW, so I look forward to hearing the replies. Matt Woodworth built and discussed his bench awhile back, you might want to look at that one, although I am not so certain that it isn't too pretty to work on. Good luck and thanks for posting.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Here is a pic of a new Rockler vise I installed on my bargain basement bench a few days ago. It is a Record clone, they had it on sale for $99.00

Works great

Ace
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dennis, next trip to Terry's come by and I'll show you the Veritas Twin Screw mounted. It is my only woodworking vise so far. I haven't really wanted another yet. My bench, if you can call it that, is setup more like a neander's bench than a power eater's. But I work both ways. I think you can play with it and see the benefits (and shortages, which I feel are few) more easily than just reading about it. I've had it about a year and it makes a great vise for any type wood worker.

David

OK....based on several statements made here....I have ordered the LV Medium Shoulder Plane. I also decided to go ahead and purchase the Record 52-1/2 Quick Release vise. I don't have a bench to put the vise on "yet" but I will this year.....no matter if I have to make it out of some wood I got for Hurricane "Hugo"....remember then? I won't be the "perfect" wood....but it is all I have for FREE......

Thanks everyone for your advice and pointers.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    Dennis, next trip to Terry's come by and I'll show you the Veritas Twin Screw mounted. It is my only woodworking vise so far. I haven't really wanted another yet. My bench, if you can call it that, is setup more like a neander's bench than a power eater's. But I work both ways. I think you can play with it and see the benefits (and shortages, which I feel are few) more easily than just reading about it. I've had it about a year and it makes a great vise for any type wood worker.

David
    David,

I thought about the twin screw vise....but it was more money than what I wanted to spend right now. Since I still have to build my "bench", I just needed something to use as a vise since I don't have a vise at all. I would like to see your TSV next time I am up that way.
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    David,

I thought about the twin screw vise....but it was more money than what I wanted to spend right now. Since I still have to build my "bench", I just needed something to use as a vise since I don't have a vise at all. I would like to see your TSV next time I am up that way.

Dennis, build the bench so that you can add the TSV when finances are better. When I build a bench, that is what I intend to do. You will enjoy the Record Vise. Good luck and Happy New Year.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Dennis,
    Popular Woodworking in its last issue had a great set of plans for a $200 bench. I don't have one of the "beauty" benches myself though I wouldn't mind one. I liked their plan, because like my bench, it was simple and easy to modify without the guilt of "messing it up".
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    David,

Dennis,

After using a Stanley #92 for years, LOML got me the LV Medium shoulder plane for my birthday. I tuned it up and used it to fit some tenons. The difference is night and day vs. the old #92.

Paul
    How did I get here? Nevermind....

Dennis,
    I have used that Record vise for years, its great. Its on my old bench which I still have and often I use it over the front vise on me Diffenbach bench;I like it that much. I think you will be happy with both items. LV is making some great things...I just got the spokeshaves and they are super!
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

LV Med. Shoulder Plane is a Dandy!

FedEx delivered my LV shoulder plane a couple of days ago.
    With just light honing it works like a charm. I have an ancient
    #4 smoother, a Stanley LA block plane and a very old bullnose.
    Couple these with my LV card scrapers, and I can dabble in the land of the tail-less tools from time to time.

Mike