Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on electronic hearing protection?

Any thoughts on electronic hearing protection?

Anyone have experience using electronic ear muffs (the kind that let you hear normal level noise but block out high decibel noises)? I'm looking at getting something along these lines and was wondering if they are effective in a shop and if any specific brands are better than others.

Thanks in advance for your replies, I'm new to the forum and I've been amazed at how helpful everyone is here.

I decided to buy a set from HF and I am not pleased with them. There is a lot of static in them. I do believe a good set will work welll so I am waiting for a set to arrive from Rockler.
    Alan
    Support SMC, become a Contributor.

I have done a lot of target shooting over the years, I use Peltor, Tac6 $65 or so.

I occasionally use my Bose QC-II headphones in the shop, but not for the real noisy stuff...for that, I still use my comfortable AO bands with tapered earplugs on the ends.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I recommend these from Lee Valley that I bought a year or so ago. They are comfortable and very effective in reducing noise levels, especially when I'm using my planer or jointer. I keep the volume turned down and can still hear SWMBO and the TV when the machines aren't running.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...18&cat=1,42207

-- Phil

We have a pair of noise attenuators called Hear and Protect, available at Woodworker's Supply. The filter out most of the high-frequency noise from the jointer and planer, yet it's easy to carry on a conversation from the other side of the shop. They have a 28dB attenuation, and go for about $44.00.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

In this day and age....

They should have really good ones out there.

They can listen for a sound and then produce the opposite wave and there is no sound.
    I saw a test of a system one time that did that very thing on a small gas engine. The engine was running and making the normal noise and then they turned the unit on and there was almost nothing.
    This was not a small unit at the time but I don't see why by now they don't have them smaller.

I am still using the foam ear plugs.

I shoot around 50-100 rounds a week with electric muffs. Since I switched to them I won't use anything else.

I use my old shooting muffs(non-electric) in the shop. If you were planning on wearing them all the time the electric are nice. I only wear muffs when needed.

If you go electronic the peltor's are the "standard" and are first rate.

Joe
    Last edited by John Bailey; 04-18-2007 at 9:02 AM.
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I second Phil's recommendation of the LV electronic ones. $30, comfortable even over glasses, work great.

Jack

I have a set of the Peltor "Alert" model. They are very effective at blocking out noise, and are rated at 28 dB reduction. They have the dual mike feature that allows you to hear when noise/sound levels are below 84 dB. I use them on my tractor, and in the shop. They work quite well. They also have an AM/FM radio, which is ok, but not great. Works outside ok, but not that great in the shop. This model is very expensive, about $165, and to "jack-in" another source you have to buy their patch cable for about $30. The microphone feature is nice, but I doubt I would buy them for that alone, unless I had alot of people wanting to talk to me frequently while working.

I have since bought a set of Peltor "racetunes" that has a standard external jack so I can plug my IPOD in to it, about $50. Also has an AM/FM radio.

Now what I don't like about the Peltor muffs is the vinyl material that they use for the ear cushions. It literally rubs me the wrong way. I have experienced rather irritated earlobes after several hours of initial use. Especially if I am doing heavy work when the muffs can become slightly sweaty inside. I can avoid this by more frequent use (build callouses) or adjusting the position so they don't rub. This happend to me with both pairs of muffs, and I didn't even realize it until a day later, and for several days thereafter. It's caused by either the vinyl, or the foam inside, either way I've had other muffs that use a much softer cushion material that doesn't do this.

The foam plugs are the best at about dB reduction but can be a pain to use, especially after they get a bit of sawdust on them...

Last I remember...
    There's two basic types of electronic muffs, the ones that reduce sound levels and those that shut the electronics completely off.
    Usually the reduction type are more expensive, but nice to be able to hear what's going on while your running something.

Best ones I own are from a outfit called Pro Ears at over $200 a pair, bit expensive though and they require a "N" battery, not always available at your corner store.
    When shooting I used a the foam plugs and the Pro Ears, but nothing in woodworking I've seen so far is as loud as a Open IPSC comped race gun so that would probably be a bit over kill for most of us.

I have found the Rockler electronic muffs worked well and run off of AA batteries, they do shut the electronics down, but I can still hear well enough to tell when I'm starting to overwork one of my power tools.

The Rockler ones were on sale so I bought two pair, hang one over the table saw and the other wanders aimlessly around the shop, depending on what I'm doing.
    I'd buy the Rocklers again btw, cheap and work....nice combination.

Al
    Last edited by Al Willits; 04-18-2007 at 8:43 AM.
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Peltor 26 Worktunes

I agree with Joe and am using this model:
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/..._Radio_Headset
    They are very comfortable over my glasses so I leave them on most of the time.
    Thanks,
    Merle

I use "shooter" non-electronic muffs that I purchased at a gun store. I can hear normal conversation and they block out the noise of power tools enough to protect my hearing. Huh?

I would be careful using the electronic hearing protectors. Most are optimized for certain frequencies and type of sound. They may not protect you from the noice made by woodworking tools.

The standard hearing protector devices carry a NIOSH certification and using non-certified protectors may lead to false security.
    Howie.........