Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy Nova lathe in Upstate NY?

Where to buy Nova lathe in Upstate NY?

I have been considering/researching a full size lathe for a while now. I was considering the Nova 1624, due to cost, simplicity and large capacity. The recent FWW review on large lathes solidified my thoughts that the Nova was a great lathe for the $$$$$.
    The problem is that in Canada, our only dealer is on the other side of the country. I am in Toronto and within a 2hour drive to Buffalo NY.
    Woodcraft in Rochester (about 3 1/2 hours drive) does not have this lathe in stock but they can order in for me.
    Is there any other dealers in the Buffalo NY area that stock these lathes? I would really like to be able to see the lathe in person prior to ordering/buying.

I tried calling the Nova 1800 number in the States, but it is not available from Canada
    Thanks,

Chris
    Last edited by chris del; 04-19-2007 at 3:07 PM.

The 800 number may not be reachable in Canada, but it is here in NJ.

I called them (slightly boring day at work), and they said the closest place to Buffalo to get one of their lathes would be the Woodcraft store in Rochester.

For what it's worth, one of my friends just got this lathe with the bed extension, and he loves it. I saw this lathe at the Woodworking Show that was here in NJ, and it looks like a really nice machine, although you'll need to weight the base down. But I agree, for the price I don't think you can do any better.

The current issue of FWW rated the 1624-44 (with the bed extension) as Best Value, among the lathes they reviewed.

I don't know a single Nova owner (myself included), using a model 3000, DVR, DVR-XP or 1624-44 that does not weight the thing down.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    The 800 number may not be reachable in Canada, but it is here in NJ.

I called them (slightly boring day at work), and they said the closest place to Buffalo to get one of their lathes would be the Woodcraft store in Rochester.

For what it's worth, one of my friends just got this lathe with the bed extension, and he loves it. I saw this lathe at the Woodworking Show that was here in NJ, and it looks like a really nice machine, although you'll need to weight the base down. But I agree, for the price I don't think you can do any better.
    It am always impressed how a total stranger will go out of their way to help someone out. Thanks for calling them Wilbur.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I contacted Teknatool about a month ago looking for exactly the same information (I live next door in Ajax). They said the only place in Canada to get the Nova lathes is KMS tools in BC. Have you looked into what the shipping will be to our neighbourhood? Also, do you know what the duty implications are of bringing one over the border? I am curious as I will likely bite the bullet on this model before the year is out.

Thanks,
    Steve Kubien
    Ajax, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kubien View Post
    Hi Chris,

I contacted Teknatool about a month ago looking for exactly the same information (I live next door in Ajax). They said the only place in Canada to get the Nova lathes is KMS tools in BC. Have you looked into what the shipping will be to our neighbourhood? Also, do you know what the duty implications are of bringing one over the border? I am curious as I will likely bite the bullet on this model before the year is out.

Thanks,
    Steve Kubien
    Ajax, Ontario

Hey neighbour!

Here is the math Steve!

Woodcraft in Rochester NY Nova 1624 $999USD + 8.75% NY state sales tax = $ 1086 USD. At todays exchange rate $1086US = $1225.65CDN.
    Unless you sneak across the border, you will have to pay 14% GST and PST on the entire amount. $1225.65CDN + 14% = $1397.

Delivery from KMS Tools in Western Canada.
    Nova 1624 sale price $1099.00 Canadian + GST only= 1165.95 CDN.
    They gave me a shipping quote late this afternoon of $175 Canadian
    Total = $1340.95 CDN. and no 3 hour drive to Rochester.....

Please keep me informed with what way you decide to go.

Regards,

Chris

Yes but than you couldn't go shopping at woodcraft and buy more stuff (HEHEHE)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O'Conner View Post
    Yes but than you couldn't go shopping at woodcraft and buy more stuff (HEHEHE)
    Bill, I work 300 yards from a Lee-Valley store. Not much left in the wallet after lunch.

Chris

Luv it! I live less than 1 hour from Lee Valley mail order in Canton NY and have to drive to Ottawa or Toronto to see their tools. You have to go to to the US to by a lathe. What happened to free trade?

After considering my options, this morning I ordered the 1624 from KMS in Western Canada.
    Total price including shipping was $1340 CND, and I dont have to worry about the 7 hour round trip to Woodcraft, nor the high price of gas.
    If anyone planned to talk me out of buying this lathe it is too late.

Steve,

When I get it up and running, you be welcome to come take it for a test drive..

Chris

Chris, I'm not going to say you were wrong in getting the Nova from KMS, not with all the money I have spent there...

Did you check out their prices on chuck packages. You can get a chuck, several jaws and all the bits it takes, for less money there then anywhere else I have seen (US, Canada, it doesn't matter, it's a great price)

BTW, if you are ever in the Vancouver area, a visit to KMS, then Lee Valley and lastly Island Woodcraft (WoodChips) is a fun way to spend some hours. All three are just a short drive from each other. I think that KMS is the most fun stop, WoodChips is a small shop (the main store up in Comox is better). I have to say Lee Valley was a sad disappointment, it's a show room, not a tool store (down to the oak and glass display cases)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Thumbs up It's a date!

Sure Chris, I'd love to see it. Heck, let me know when you get it and I'll come over and give you a hand setting it up, if you like. I don't read instructions very well but I am good for grunt labour.

Steve Kubien

One thing I forgot to mention and I am not sure if this is a everyday deal or a one time special...... The lathe ships with a G3 chuck at no extra charge.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chris del View Post
    It am always impressed how a total stranger will go out of their way to help someone out. Thanks for calling them Wilbur.

Chris
    No problem. Like I said, I was being bored at work that day.

Good for you, Chris! As I said in my e-mail I was quite surprised at how reasonable shipping was all the way from BC. The chuck "bonus" seems to be a pretty standard thing with them. My DVR came with a SN2 included, although I had to e-mail them and remind them about it since it didn't arrive with the lathe. The lathe arrive much sooner than I had been led to expect, as well.

Take care
    Bob