Thread: Need advised on purchase of new lathe

Need advised on purchase of new lathe

I posted my intro here a couple weeks ago and thanks to everyone who responded. Now I have a question type of "What would you do ".
    I have put a Jet mini lathe on hold until the middle of May. At this time I'm looking to do pens and maybe some smaller turnings. As I get better and if I do decide to do larger work I was intending to buy the extension for the Jet mini. I did some calculating and found that my cost for the Jet mini along with the stand and then the extension and its stand would be X amount of dollars. ( the Jet is the variable speed model where you move the belt ) Woodcraft has a Jet Lathe model 1236 advertised. And for approx $30-$40 more I would get a larger lathe and more horsepower with a included stand.
    At this point in time I know I'm getting a lathe, I'm just not sure now which way to go. Any ideas or opinions ?
    Thanks
    Ron

Ron, get the largest one you are able to afford. Pens are interesting and fun, but you will want to do other things.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

STAND BY!! If wood crafters is still selling that 1236 for around $500, I might be able to make you a deal on a practically brand new one for a LOT less.. I think I'm going to get a slightly used 1236 in a day or two, and I could just as easily part with it, because I have the Oliver now..So, I don't mind to much being the middle man, and you could save enough to get a nice chuck. If your interested.. I'll post in a day or so if I'm for sure gonna get the thing, and maybe we can work a deal.. ??
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

Well, so much for that idea.. I'm sorry Ron, the deal fell through yesterday, as the seller was offered more than $450 on the spot. Oh well, Now back to your original delima.. I'm really sorry I couldn't help you out.. but you know how the "best laid plans" thing goes.. I hope your find a nice lathe that lets you do all the things you want.. I wouldn't spend too much on upgrades to the mini.. When you start wanting to throw bigger blanks 10"+, for bowls and such on them, horsepower and weight really come in to to front of the picture.
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

Ron,

My first lathe was the Jet 1236. I upgraded to the Jet mini lathe. You will get much more enjoyment out of the mini; it is a better designed lathe. It is a better lathe within its capacity. If you really like woodturning, probably you will upgrade to a real lathe very soon. A lot of the club members I know keep their mini when they upgrade to a 16"+ lathes. Each of our clubs (I belong to 2 local Clubs) has 10 Jet mini lathes, none of us needs to keep a small lathe for demonstration purpose. We keep the minis just because we like them.

The Jet mini is quieter with less vibration; you can stand a nickel on edge on the lathe while running. The Reeves drive on the 1236 needs constant maintenance. Harbor Freight has its almost identical clone for around $175.

Gordon

I'd agree. The Jet mini is a great lathe. In my opinion (and that's all it is, an opinion) the next step up from the mini would be the 1442. I just don't consider the 1236 to be cost justifiable. You will be wanting to move up from it sooner rather than later. If you're going to go with a 1236 you might as well look at bigger iron. You'll be much happier.

Ron......There are only a couple of reasons for buying and using a Mini lathe....(1) cost.......Mini's cost less.....if you are new to turning spending even $360 for a Jet VS Mini is less than $2600 for a PM3520B or $5000 for a Oneway to find out if you like turning .....(2) size of your shop won't allow you to use a larger lathe....(3) Portability.....Even guys with the skills of Travis Stinson, have a Jet Mini that he uses when he gives demonstratons....it's 69 lbs....it's portable...

If you get a Mini you'll eventually want to upgrade to a larger lathe and you'll want one that is variable speed. When you mount an out of balance blank, the lower the speed the safer and less vibration you will have to deal with until the blank is is rounded and more balanced. There are 3 types of variable speeds...(belt range, belt range and electronic variable speed ...and reeves drive). All 3 work well and each has it's disadvantage. Reeves drive is basically a variable diameter pulley system that will require mechanical knowledge and regular maintenance. Electronic variable speed comes in two flavors AC and DC. AC is the most expensive and is IMHO the way to go. At it's lowest speeds it maintains it's horsepower. DC is cheaper but at it's lower speeds loses a lot of it's horsepower. Belt range......you change speed by changing the belt position on the different diameter pulleys on the machine. In this case the lowest speed is set by the pulley diameter.

Regardless of what lathe you buy, you'll find that the lathe is the cheapest part of getting into turning....their will always be tools or accessories to buy. If you had a million dollars to spend on turning tools, you wouldn't probably spend it all but you'd spend a lot of time ordering stuff because their is always some new accessory coming out. I'm not trying to discourage you but think you need to be aware. That being said you can do it on a budget.

I was given a Jet VS Mini by the inmates here last year. It's a good solid little lathe and it's put up with a lot of abuse from me. So far the only problems I've encounter is I've broken 2 of the handles used to lock the tool rest height adjust. I didn't really break them but wore them out. The main problem with a mini is the small diameter it will allow you to turn. You will eventually want to turn larger diameter objects. This fall I hope to purchase a larger lathe but I will keep my mini. It's great for things of small size.

Good luck with your decision!

Ken
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Lathe Purchase

I want to thank you all for the information given. It helped me decide and made me feel better about that decision.
    Yesterday I was in Peoria at the Woodcraft store with my better half. I had already put a deposit down on a Jet mini VS but I was there just looking and wishing,.

Well when I walked out I had the lathe, Woodcrafts slow speed grinder, Wolverene Jig system and the Skew attachment, 2 Pinnical Turning tools, packed in my car and took it home.

About 10:30 last night I was debating if I should go to bed or what. The items were all in my shop still in the boxes. ( I had several things to do when I got home like help the wife) I could't stand it any longer I went back out to the shop and started unpacking.

I have you all to thank ( or blame depending on how you want to look at it) But again I do mean it when I say Thanks for the advise and help
    I hope I can continue to ask you all for help.

Ron
    (My wife want to do some turning as well )

Ron,

I started on a Jet 1442. I was looking at the mini, but my husband is always thinking ahead and got me the bigger one because he knew I would out grow the mini quickly. I later talked him into buying me a Wilton mini. It's not as good as the Jet, but I don't use the little baby for much more than pens.

From what I have heard, the 1236 isn't that good of a deal and the Jet Mini is a very desirable lathe. Therefore, the resale value would hold better for the Mini. I my opinion, if you can't go for the 1442, go with the Mini. I'm sure you will eventually upgrade sooner or later.....and it is better to have two lathes than one.

Ron....Good luck with your turning......Take some lessons at the Woodcraft Store......join the local turner's club....a book I'd recommend...."Wood Turning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley....it was recommended to me and it's my "go to" source! DVDs.....BIll Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy" and "Turning Wood" by Richard Raffan.....both are excellent!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....