Thread: Freud - General Purpose Blade for TS

Freud - General Purpose Blade for TS

Does anyone have any hands-on use of Freud's new Premier Fusion general purpose blade - 40 Tooth Hi-ATB? I would appreciate your comments. (I need to replace my general purpose blade due to an unfortunate accident caused by my own stupidity.) Thanks.
    Kev

Thumbs up

Yes, I've been using the new "fusion" blade for a few months. I was using the WWII before that, but like the cut of the freud better!! That's saying a bunch!! The sides of the cut look better than the stuff I take off my jointer. Nice blade.

Barry in WV

Barry,
    Thank you for the comment and the comparison of the Fusion to the Forrest WWII. That is exactly the issue I am fighting with. My two year old WWII met the concrete floor and didn't survive. (May it rest in peace. What a bummer, along with several choice words.) I have been very pleased with the WWII but was very impressed with the presentation at a recent woodworking show where a Freud Rep showed the blade off. Thx.

I don't have the 40 tooth as I prefer something a little higher (60 or even 80) - but I have (thin kerf) Freud blades in my CMS and TS - and I swear by them. They give consistent smooth cuts and little or no burning.

I have a new 24 tooth ripping blade that I haven't used yet - to rip some 8/4 maple. I figured hard maple might be just a bit too hard for my usual blades - so I sprang for a special purpose blade.

Highly Recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Godwin View Post
    ...My two year old WWII met the concrete floor and didn't survive. (May it rest in peace. What a bummer, along with several choice words.)...
    Have you considered sending your WWII to Forrest for repair? They can replace broken carbide and maybe straighten a bent plate. How much damage can dropping a blade do???

I have an older version of what has become the Freud Fusion, a Freud F40. The product evolved from F40 to F410 to Fusion over a number of years. I'm sure the Fusion is an improved blade, but the F40 gives mighty good cuts. I don't use it much now, because I have a couple of WWII blades, and the old F40 has a slightly narrower kerf than the WWII, causing binding on the splitter.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 04-22-2007 at 1:28 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Dave,
    Today I called my local Forrest dealer before they closed - the woodsmith store I bought it from. They did suggest I bring it to them and they can look at it and show it to their rep when he comes next. Thanks for the suggestion.

The blade didn't just tumble to the floor. I had the "great idea" of moving my mobile assembly table while having an unstable heavy rocking chair on top of it. Well, the rocker did what it was designed to do when I bumped a wood chunk on the floor. It rocked and rolled and managed to land on the blade which had come to rest against the adjacent work bench leg. It looks as if it is bent about an 1/8 inch and lost 2 carbide tips. Fortunately, my wife believes it needs replacement as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Godwin View Post
    Dave,
    Today I called my local Forrest dealer before they closed - the woodsmith store I bought it from. They did suggest I bring it to them and they can look at it and show it to their rep when he comes next. Thanks for the suggestion.

The blade didn't just tumble to the floor. I had the "great idea" of moving my mobile assembly table while having an unstable heavy rocking chair on top of it. Well, the rocker did what it was designed to do when I bumped a wood chunk on the floor. It rocked and rolled and managed to land on the blade which had come to rest against the adjacent work bench leg. It looks as if it is bent about an 1/8 inch and lost 2 carbide tips. Fortunately, my wife believes it needs replacement as well!

Ouch!!! I'd send it to the Forrest factory. If anyone can repair it, they can.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I do not have that particular blade but I swear by my $45.00 Frued 50 tooth Combo Thin Kerf and the same blade in full kerf. I use the thin kerf the most and have worn one of them out, just received a new one. The fusion sounds like a great blade!

Corey