Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Socks Man, I need Socks

In my line of work, I need the very best footwear money can buy with price as (seriously) no object. I wear custom made heavyweight leather boots and have them rebuilt about every other year due to wear.

Cotton is a terrible fabric for socks and synthetics, such as orlon, are just about as bad. Wool/synthetic mixes are better, but not nearly as good as high grade wool. The British army figured that out in India a hundred years ago.

I have tried every higher end sock on the market purporting to be quality. Frankly, I am a sucker for any sock promising better performance and longevity. Most simply do not measure up to hard use under extreme conditions, even if with celebrity mountain climbers endorsing them. Not for very long, anyway.

For heavy duty use with work boots, you might consider Filson.
    Personally, I prefer their heavyweight worsted Merino wool at $25. But they offer several options.

http://www.filson.com/family/index.j...069836.2065000

They have outlasted "Smartwool", Wigwam, Thorlo and others by at least 4:1, probably more. I was lucky to get a "season" or so out of the Smartwool and Wigwams (heavy versions). The Filsons are going on their fourth maybe fifth year.

As long as one is not allergic, high grade merino wool is the most comfortable....winter and summer, wet all day or dry and hot. For exceptionally extreme conditions, particularly in snow, a silk liner sock is a good idea. I like to buy at least dozen pair and allow them to wear evenly. You must be fastidious about washing them on gentle and not ruining them in the dryer with high heat. These are not 6/$1.99 sweat socks and they dont belong in the same load with your underwear.

I recommend that you buy a couple of pair of several brands and make your own decision based on your own field trials. You may find one of the cheaper brands suitable enough for your needs.

Per,
    I like cotton socks much better than wool, especially if your feet sweat. I've tried some cushioning socks sold by Eddie Bauer.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product...&sc=&lp=v1i019

or

http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product...&sc=&lp=v1i017
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

While I haven't tried any of these yet, Extreme Alpaca Socks are supposed to be even better, more comfortable, more durable, more breathable (?), etc. than merino wool.

http://americasalpaca.com/product_in...products_id/29

I don't profit from this site but I will be owning alpacas later this summer, so take it for what it's worth.
    Jerry Vander Till
    Once I couldn't even spell injuneer, now I are one.

Ditto on Merino wool socks. Make sure you get ones that are comfortable for you. I have bought some that fit rather loosely and did not do much for supporting my food. On the other hand, I have some that fit my foot like a glove and are the best socks I own. I have about 12 pairs of these

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...p&feat=9699-tn

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I have tried cotton socks and found them marginally okay for a short period of time. After washing them several times the inside of the socks turn to a gravel like feeling. Some people have feet that can walk bare on a black top road in Arizona during a summer heat wave or bare foot on a gravel road. I am not one of them. If there is a minuscule piece of lint in my sock it feels like a boulder and can cause a blister if I don't remove it.
    David B

Now we have to know

With all the good info this thread produced.... "I gots to know"

Per please tell us what socks you buy
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Jeremy, and everybody who helped Louie and Rudy.

I bought em all.

Currently at $234.16.

I wasn't kidding.

Per

PS

Afore ya think I'm nuts.....

Lets see, I rotate 5 pairs of work boots ranging in price and quality

from 75 bucks to 200.

And I was paying a buck two ninety nine for 12 socks.

It takes me a long time to see the error of my ways...

in this case 30 years.

Per
    Last edited by Per Swenson; 04-27-2007 at 6:04 PM.
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Per, I think you're going to find it money well spent. And if you find a pair you especially like, buy lots more, because they come and go like prices at Amazon.
    Ken

I think this may be my first post on the Creek. Strange that after all the great woodworking information/entertainment, I'm posting about socks. Get the Smart Wool, I wear them summer and winter and I'm on my feet 12+ hours a day. I didn't give much thought to socks or shoes until I injured my back and then the pain in my legs and feet forced me to think about them. I found them to be a good bargain because they last many times longer than the cheapo socks I was buying. Happy feet. Eric

I have had foot issues for a while. I use gel insoles and if I need good socks I will go with synthetic hiking socks like thorlo. Otherwise light polypropylene sock liners and heavy wool outer socks seem best. Cotton gets hot and the fibers become like little burning gridirons.

Best Socks

Per: Try Thorlo's Basketball socks I have been wearing them for about 10 years now and I love them. I get them from www.thesockcompany.com Read the care instructions and follw them and 6 pair will last you from 18 to 24 months wearing them everyday. I am on my feet on concrete and steel walking and climbing steps for 12 - 14 hours a day and my "Tootsies"Love them.

Good Luck
    Charlie

So far the winner is...........

Duluth trading. http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/...ure=Product_13

Great sock, great price, immediate delivery.

Just in case ya wanted to know.

Still more coming though.

But I hate waiting.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Per, Check out Cabelas. I swear by their Merino wool winter socks but kinda pricey at $13 a pr.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges