Thread: Shaker Clock

Shaker Clock

Hello all,
    Here are a few pictures of a Shaker Clock I made for my parents 40th anniversary. I followed the plans from Wood Magazine Dec/Jan 2004-2005 and only made a few changes. The clock dial and movement were from Craftime Clockery. The hinges are no mortise hinges from Lee Valley and the knob came from there as well. The clock is oak coated in 2 coats of natural min wax stain cut 50% with mineral spirits, then clear coated with poly cut 50% for the 1st 2 coats and the last coat of poly was cut 25%. I used rare earth magnets in the clock body and the door to keep it closed. I had a problem with installing the magnets because I was following the plan and could not figure out why the magnet and the screw for the knob weren't lining up, so I just in frustration put piece of double sided tape on the door and moved the 2nd magnet around until it lined up. I then traced around the magnet and drilled a hole for its location.

The clock is 17" high by 8 1/2" wide by 4" deep. I am in the process of building another clock out of cherry and I will donate it for a school auction in November. I hope to build a larger clock that is featured in Canadian Woodworking for my wife and I. That one will be out of walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stephan,
    Good looking clock. i like the simple design and layout. Good luck with your future clocks.
    Greg

Stephan, I really like that piece! Nice work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job Stephan. The one you make for the auction should bring a good price. Another good way to locate your magnet holes is with dowel centers.

Thanks, it was a real fun project that didn't get boring or mundane. I never thought of using dowel centers, I may try that on the next one. I would think that the dowel center would have to be the same size as the magnet right? I know now that those magnets are real powerful. I put 1 in those cups for holding them and I couldn't get it out. Later I had to drill through the bottom of the cup to get the magnet out.

Thanks again.
    Stephan

Very nicely done, Stephan..

Sarge..