Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoist for lathe

Hoist for lathe

I've been thinking about my back lately and the fact that with a new large capacity lathe on the way that it would be nice to have a hoist to raise those heavy blanks to the spindle position. I've not heard any of you talk about having one but I thought I'd ask if anyone does anyway. If so any thoughts or recommendations. I looked at HF and they have some reasonable 12V 2000lb ones (winch)pretty cheap. I just don't know anything about them. Is power or chain drawn the better way to go? They even have a rope draw that would handle most blanks for about $7.00 Joke Guys!!
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 04-25-2007 at 9:47 AM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Not a bad idea with your back situation. I would think that a manual hoist would be easier to manipulate, but I have no experience. It would be nice to have it on a short track so you can lift next to the lathe, slide it over and then bring it down to spindle height for mounting...something to ponder!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You better get that lathe soon. You are shopping up a storm! I have a chainfall that I use for my garden tractor but have not used it for blanks. I have to figure out how to hold the wood so it would not fall on my foot.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Christopher....I've got a suggestion that will protect your back. Have that Stubby delivered to my shop. I will ship my Jet VS Mini to you. You won't have to mount any blanks larger than 9.5" that way. Save your back Christopher...You only have one!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Christopher....I've got a suggestion that will protect your back. Have that Stubby delivered to my shop. I will ship my Jet VS Mini to you. You won't have to mount any blanks larger than 9.5" that way. Save your back Christopher...You only have one!
    I don't wish to disappoint you but that Stubby really isn't a Stubby. (Robust American Beauty 25) Actually, I'm not quit ready to sign the adoption papers on "Beauty" just yet. I do know however you'd be a good parent and I won't forget you. I want you to know however, you have an open invitation to come turn on her when in this neck of the woods. Hint...Hint!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-25-2007 at 11:48 AM.

I've worked with hoists and cranes and wince whenever anyone tlaks of using a winch for a hoist. True a 2000lb winch will probably never fail when used to lift 50lb blanks, but it's the principle that winches are not designed for lifting or load holding. My personal favorite in this load range is a little ratchet chain hoist. Mine is 550lb capacity with 8 to 10 ft of lift and would fit in a tool box. HF has something similar I think, though a bit bulkier. For hoisting a blank, I'd shop for a few nylon slings too, while you're at it. I haven't seen very many trees with lifting eye hooks built it.

I have a lift set-up on my wood splitter. It consists of a Boom arm ,2 pulleys and a set of Pinchdog tongs. The lifting is done with a Boat loading winch. ( cheap). The system works great for the larger firewood logs.The cable attaches to the arms of the dogs and force the points into the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    I don't wish to disappoint you but that Stubby really isn't a Stubby. (Robust American Beauty 25) Actually, I'm not quit ready to sign the adoption papers on "Beauty" just yet. I do know however you'd be a good parent and I won't forget you. I want you to know however, you have an open invitation to come turn on her when in this neck of the woods. Hint...Hint!

Christopher ....I have nothing against Robust.....PM me for the address of my shop.......In a reciprocal agreement...I'll pay for shipping on the Mini..You pay for shipping on the Robust!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fred LeBail View Post
    I have a lift set-up on my wood splitter. It consists of a Boom arm ,2 pulleys and a set of Pinchdog tongs. The lifting is done with a Boat loading winch. ( cheap). The system works great for the larger firewood logs.The cable attaches to the arms of the dogs and force the points into the wood.
    Fred, any chance of getting a pic when you have a chance? Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Christopher ....I have nothing against Robust.....PM me for the address of my shop.......In a reciprocal agreement...I'll pay for shipping on the Mini..You pay for shipping on the Robust!
    You're Kill'in me here Ken!!

Hoist

Chis,
    I have a 1 ton engine hoist that I bought from Harbour Freight. It's on
    wheels and folds up to a package about a foot thick. As I recall it was
    on sale and cost me something like $129.00. Works like a champ!

13. My hoist is about 75" tall and weighs about 230 pounds. I've had it for a little over 17 years, but I just can't seem to get done paying for it. It sure eats a lot of groceries, too...

Chris

Check this one out!

http://www.hansonwoodturning.com/

Quinn

Chris,

I saw somewhere where a person mounted a pickup hoist from HF right on the ways of their lathe.