Thread: Dust Collection Question

Dust Collection Question

What determines how many HP's are required for your dust collection? Is it the number of machines, the distance to the dust collector or a combination? Is there a rule of thumb to follow when choosing a dust collection system?

Horsepower requirements are driven by airflow requirements. Two dust collectors with the same horsepower motor may flow air much differently. Bill Pentz has done a lot of research which is posted at http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/Index.cfm Opinions on Bill's information vary from seeing it as gospel to being alarmist, but the information is good whatever your take.

Everyone's needs, budget, and shop are different. If you can share more information, you'll get a lot of input on routes you can take for a dust collection system for your particular needs.

I'm just starting to put my shop together. I currently have a drill press with the lathe arriving tomorrow. Next month I plan on a table saw with a joiner, planner and bandsaw not far behind. The area I have dedicated for everything is 23' long and 14' wide, although I have plenty of room to go much wider than 14' if needed as I start getting things in. I already have one 220 plug the previous owner put in for a welder. Not sure if I can run multiple 220 devices off the same plug or not. The saw I'm leaning towards now is 3hp, so if I can only run one 220 machine that might restrict me somewhat. My budget for dust collection is (preferably) $500 or less.

Are you planning to put in ductwork or move the DC from machine to machine? Is your shop in the house or separate?

I would like to put in duct work. The shop is in a 3 car garage which is attached to the house.