Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plea for advice with THE rude question

Keith:

Could we set your list up in the form of a pdf file so it could be downloaded?

Maybe include pictures of equipment and shop set ups.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Why don't we put together a comprehensive list of supplies and equipment necessary to start a laser engraving business. I expect with such a large group we are unlikely to miss anything and a lot of people would benefit from such a list.

Who wants to start?
    I think that's a great idea. You would need a few categories though:
    1. Must have - the absolute basics (laser, dust collector, etc)
    2. Must have if you do... (cermark if you want to mark stainless, rotary attachment if you want to do round objects, etc)
    3. Nice to have - airbrush for cermark, rub n buff for paint fill
    4. If you still have money left - ??? not sure about this one, I am not in that category

Gary

Don't forget suppliers! I see many posts here from people asking about where to get something. We were able to benefit from another's research, so someone else might as well be able to benefit too.

I still think it should be a sticky in the laser forum. What say you, Keith?

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Nancy has a great idea with the suppliers list as well. Both lists would be of tremendous help to all of us newbs. Thanks for thinking of us!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Failure Is Not An Option!

Hi Gary, & Everyone!

I love that you used "Failure is not an option"! That's one of our motto's (lasered on our wall)! When we made our decision to purchase the laser, that had to be at the top of any list we started as we were weighing the whole picture. My husband does work full time (insurance), and I run this laser business full time. (Ok, my husband comes home from work, and works)! A committment of time, and perserverence in the bad times as well as the good is needed!

I would also look into the job offer, but also wondering if your friend could use a laser? How about your wife? Is she interested at all in the business? We have been in business now one full year, it's been an adventure! A great one! Everything was not perfect, but...failure is not an option! We are in a very small town, it can be done!

Sincerely,
    Ron & Phyllis

More Items

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I think that's a great idea. You would need a few categories though:
    1. Must have - the absolute basics (laser, dust collector, etc)
    2. Must have if you do... (cermark if you want to mark stainless, rotary attachment if you want to do round objects, etc)
    3. Nice to have - airbrush for cermark, rub n buff for paint fill
    4. If you still have money left - ??? not sure about this one, I am not in that category

Gary
    - Must have - Graphics software, X3, etc.
    - Exhaust system items, duct work, duct clamps, blast gates, outside venting fabrication
    - Air compressor
    - Electrical work if needed or power strips
    - Trade subscriptions
    - Floor wax, sandpaper, transfer tape
    - Paper printer
    - Stuff I missed
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

You also need a Shear, Corner notcher, Transfer tape and most of all plent of material to practice on.

The suppliers list already exists and is the 3rd sticky at the top of this forum
    Dave Jones -- Epilog Mini-24, 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, Creative Suite CS2

Dave,

I am aware of that sticky, and it is great. I was thinking more along the lines of a listing by material. If I need anodized aluminum I only have to look at that item, rather than reading each company's list of products. Guess it would be asking too much to have two lists.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

It could take awhile before I will be able to add any more work to my current schedule. I will give some thought to taking the information provided and making a list of "Stuff" that engravers need with catagories from must have to nice to have. Of course if anyone ealse wants to volunteer to create the listing that would be great

The suppliers list is pretty basic, we only list the bare bones information about the vendors products and their specialty. Keeping a comprehensive list would be another major project that I can't support right now. In addition to about two hours per day of Admin activity here each day i am working on a couple FreeStuff drawings and working with CW McClellan getting our new Shop Aprons going. I have several leather ovals to engrave this evening for the new aprons and there is the job of approving new Members that must be done several times each day. I have been spending lots of evening hours for the last few weeks doing some developement and design work for CNU, my sign backlog is getting close to two years now with no end in sight.

One last thing, the battery backup issue is getting more critical as we are now down to less than two minutes of battery life from the existing gear. Like it or not I have to make a decision and get something ordered ASAP.

My plate is full

I'll have to chime in here, I'm a parallel example.
    I bought my new laser in November, an Epilog mini. I had planned for some time to set up, learn software, and gain experience on the machine before expecting to make money. I too am a graphics guy with many years of eperience. It still took me much longer to get going that I had planned.
    I also have a day job and hope to someday quit and do this creative work fulltime.
    Everything is exactly as described by the sales reps and the others on this list: I lurked for years before doing this. Happy and satisfied? Absolutely. Successful? Not with money yet.
    If I had a month to dedicate to this fulltime it would definitely become profitable. But every step along the way, while simple, is not as fast as I had anticipated. Small things can slow us down. While the laser itself is simple, the learning curve on your particular machine/material interface is necessarily time-consuming. I wish, for example, Adobe Illustrator would be more laser-friendly.
    Complaints? none. I love doing this, even at night and fight sleep at work!

Thanks for all that you do Keith! Sounds like your plate is overflowing! I would volunteer to help with the list, but as a friend of mine once said "I don't know enough to know what I don't know!". In other words, I would probably hurt more than help.

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post

One last thing, the battery backup issue is getting more critical as we are now down to less than two minutes of battery life from the existing gear. Like it or not I have to make a decision and get something ordered ASAP.
    I must have been sleeping at the laser. What is this battery backup issue?
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Ed, this is a quote from Keith in another thread:

"Our annual funding drive is in November. In November 2006 we collected enough money to provide for our annual costs for 2007. Included in those costs were funds for a new server which needs to be replaced every three years. We currently have funds to cover a few new software modules for vBulletin, two more hard drives for our new server and a few bucks for an emergency. Our battery backup is a hand-me-down from Hampton Roads Online and is now an antique with about ten minutes of capacity. Replacing the battery backup will have to wait until our next fund drive unless a substantial number of the new Members who have joined us this year contribute."

The battery backup system keeps the entire board from going "hard down" in the event of a power outage in Virginia. It will keep the board up and running while Keith "drags out his generator", and will alleviate or avoid outages like we had a couple of weeks ago when the board was down for several hours. When the entire board goes down, it takes several hours for Aaron and Keith to bring it back up.

That's as much as I know; Keith will be able to enlighten you more.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I look at it with yet another twist... I'm retired military. I could jump in with both feet and "probably" eventually make it work full-time.

Instead... I'm working again as a systems engineeer at Boeing and I love the fact that I can pour $120K/year into a business that's gonna support me eventually. Paid cash for the laser, paid cash for the vinyl cutter, laptop, two PCs, network, website and merchant account, compressor, dust collection system, lighting and probably another $10K in supplies.

It makes working VERY easy knowing that each check puts me one step closer to having all the tools I'll need to be self-sufficient. I'm not free to play all day, but I will be soon enough. Meanwhile, business seems to build word of mouth faster than you'd imagine and I'm looking at building a dedicted shop or leasing a commercial space.

The steady cash of a 9-5 (when you've got a dream in mind) REALLY helps.... plus it's fun telling your boss your $25,000 laser just came in.

I say take the job... but get use you new income and spare time to get the business off to a good start.