Thread: twin captain's bed with pocket screws

twin captain's bed with pocket screws

I am a new member and a novice woodworker....I have a few modest projects under my belt using basic butt joinery. I recently got a kreg jig and would like to use it in construction for my 6 yr old daughter's captain's bed that is next on my list. I plan on using 3/4" birch plywood and 3/4" pine. My concern is the stability of the bed using exclusively these joints/along with glue. I currently have a broken collarbone and have about 3 more weeks before can start, so I have plenty of time to plan. I saw a bunk bed made with pocket screws on the kreg website, so I assume this will be fine, but that is where you guys come in!!!!!

thanks

al
    Last edited by allan cripe; 04-27-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: My design is not nearly as ambitious as Fred V's!!!!
    "What happens in the garage, often through no fault of it's own, stays in the garage....."

Kids have been known to jump up & down on beds...I'd build it plenty strong. In and of itself, I wouldn't think you would have a problem, as long as you use strong glue (maybe even contruction adhesive where necessary) and proper bracing. It's like building a bridge with toothpicks that will support 100lbs...it's all about good design.

I'll use pocket screw construction for a lot of things, but the connections of a bed frame at the corners is not one of them, whether for kids who can and do jump up and down or adults who at least dream about jumping up and down... Bed need sturdy physical joinery at the frame level. Now...to build things like the headboard and food board outside of the key stress joints...no problem!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are brackets for bed connections that make disassembly for moving much easier. Dont know where to get them but I have seen them.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'll use pocket screw construction for a lot of things, but the connections of a bed frame at the corners is not one of them
    A Captain's bed is basically a dresser under the bed, which is basically a box. I imagine butt joints alone COULD make strong enough joints [the pockect screws would eliminate the need for clamping]. Again, it goes back to the design. A box made from, Allen said 3/4" ply, with a few 45° braces and you can use it as a stage. The problem might be that function compromises form. [easy to build might not be as pretty]

However...Allen, don't let a new gadget blind you...if you ARE thinking of a tradition frame you might look into the hardware idea.

example http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bed%20hardware
    Last edited by Joe Diggs; 05-04-2007 at 1:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Red face thanks

I suspected this to be true, however I am no engineer and joinery strength is something I am learning. I appreciate the input.

I'll post pics when it is done.

Al
    "What happens in the garage, often through no fault of it's own, stays in the garage....."

thanks for the link, joe

Conventional bed - you probably need something other than pocket screws for the critical connections. Plus the need to be able to dismantle it for moving.

But a captains bed is a different construction, you are making a large rectangular box that supports the weight of the bed occupant directly. Make sure there is enough bracing, the plywood that you intend using is ideal, and it will hold up anything. Then the head and foot boards are seperate pieces, built like a bookcase or a set of drawers maybe, that attach to each end with a few simple screws. They dont actually support the mattress and shouldn't be subjected to any extreme stress. ( well apart from being jumped on) They can easily be removed to move the bed.

So yes I think you can make the bed using any basic joinery method you want. Because all the pocket screws and bracing etc are generally on the inside of the box it should also look OK.

You will end up with a solid platform bed, so you will want a good mattress to top it off, but thats no big deal.

Cheers

Ian