Thread: I can't upload att'ments

I can't upload att'ments

I trust this is the proper place to post this problem that I am having. I keep getting this message "You are currently using 792.9 KB to store 16 uploaded attachments." I have no idea what to do. Can someone help please?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Mack,

There are limits in both size of files and number of files you can upload to a given post.

When you upload a file under Manage Attachments...it will show you a table stating the maximum file size you can upload. The size is dependent upon the type of file.

You can only upload 5 files per post. Thus if you wanted to upload 9 photos ...you would upload 5 photos on the first post and then do another post with the remaining photos....

I hope this makes sense....to post 16 files you would have to make 4 posts total.......and each of the attachments would have to be smaller than the maximum allowed by file type.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-28-2007 at 2:48 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

[quote=Ken Fitzgerald;576489]Mack,

There are limits in both size of files and number of files you can upload to a given post.

When you upload a file under Manage Attachments...it will show you a table stating the maximum file size you can upload. The size is dependent upon the type of file.
    Hi Ken; I have 6 pics to load, all jpg's, 45.5, 49.7, 40.0, 62.8, 66.8, & 62.4, all well within the limits. Upon browsing and uploading the first file I got an error message. "You are currently using 792.9 KB to store 16 uploaded attachments."

You can only upload 5 files per post. Thus if you wanted to upload 9 photos ...you would upload 5 photos on the first post and then do another post with the remaining photos....
    I am very aware of this and would post 2 pics in one thread and 4 in the next.

I hope this makes sense....to post 16 files you would have to make 4 posts total.......and each of the attachments would have to be smaller than the maximum allowed by file type
    With all due respect Ken; it makes no sense in as much as I had only uploaded 1 file when the error message shown above appeared.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I dont' know what to tell you Mack.....Maybe someone else has an idea.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I believe its telling you you have that much stored , you need to go in and delete some before you can upload more

click user CP left hand corner of the page , go down to attachment s and open it , it will show you what you have stored , you need to delete some before you can upload more

for example mine says
    You are currently using 11.5 KB to store 1 uploaded attachments.

Skip, Thank you for this post. I had no idea that information was so readily available. I spent 15 minutes the other night looking for a post where I had previously put a picture, when it was right under my nose!!

THANKS!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Hi Skip; my message now says "I'm using 1023.5 kb to store 20 uploaded attachments", but the only ones I can clik on to check mark and delete are the most recent ones. The older ones have no box to check mark, at least I can't get into them!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Attachments and posts cannot be deleted after 24 hours except by a moderator or administrator...the reason being to keep SMC's rich information intact over time. A lot of material was lost at the end of last year through willfull deletion.

I'm not sure what is causing the problem is that you are having, but please PM Aaron with information about the specifics and be patient. He's been pretty busy lately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mack,

There isn't a cumulative drive space limit here. Our new server has more drive space available than we could ever use so that isn't the problem either. Aaron may be able to spread a little light on the problem, send him a PM and he will get back to you ASAP.

Mack - 792 kilobytes in storage divided by the number of pics in storage (16) works out to just under 50 kb per pic. And that pretty much equals a medium sized photo per SMC specs.

Thusly, my guess is that you have 16 pics that you've uploaded but never finalized the posting of them. And now they're just sitting there chewing up space for no reason at all. Do you recall ever having a hassle posting pics a time or two and simply restarting the process?

Let's hope Aaron can scrub your storage bin clean.
    Only the Blue Roads

Hi Jim, Keith, & Andy; the error message has gone away, and I am able to post pics again with no problem. It might have been a glitch in my computer. I have never had problems in the past, so I won't bother Aaron at this time. Thanks for your concern and assistance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]