Thread: First NE Bowl critique requested

First NE Bowl critique requested

I could get really hooked on this stuff. I hear everyone referring to it as falling into the vortex. The vortex appears to be spreading. My woodturning hobby vortex appears to be in cahoots with the porcelain encased vortex in my bathroom and they now appears to be sucking in all my time and disposable income . Where will it all end?

Here is my first NE bowl. I think it is finished. Please critique, especially the form. Don't hold back, your thoughts and comments are the only way I'll learn. As for the specs, poplar, about 4" tall' 5.5" wide at the widest, and finished with Watco Danish oil while the wood was still wet. Sanded 100 to 320. No real artistic vision here, it was originally intended as a practice piece only.

Thanks for the help.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That's a nice bowl Brian, great wood and form.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

That's your first NE???? Fantastic!

There's a lot of good stuff going on here. Your wall thickness is great, and you did a great job keeping the NE on. That's not an easy thing.

The wood is gorgeous and the finish is simply outstanding. Hard to believe it is only to 300 grit. Looks much finer than that. It looks as well done as your segmented piece (which I thought was perfect).

My only criticism (if I may?) would be the depth of the bowl and the foot. A bit shallower bowl would enhance the overall form. Also, did you use a recess to expansion chuck the piece? If so, a smaller tenon might serve you better. It would allow a smoother curve on the bottom while still giving the piece some lift.

Beautiful work! Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by Neal Addy; 04-29-2007 at 11:11 PM.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Wow that is lovely... never seen poplar quite that nice! Has a great ripple to it! The thickness or should I say thinness is perfect for this piece... adds a delicate look! The over all shape looks good! I might have made the foot smaller - maybe half the size it is now, but it still looks quite lovely! A smaller foot might have added to the delicate appearance and maybe instead of going straight down if you had it flare out just a bit! Looks so nice though and these forms are really hard to do and keep all the bark on! Great work!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Sure is bullet-proof wood in drying, isn't it?

I like no feet and heavier bottoms. Let 'em flow.

By now you know to sand from the wood out on the edge to keep from dirtying the white wood, right? We all learn that the first time, and the second and ... the five hundredth. Other thing I don't do is sand until the piece is dry. Helps you get the bark and the wood back into the same plane. They often disagree in direction of shrink.

Save it. It's a "first."

Great first hollow form! The foot seems a bit too wide & tall.

Brian great job the bowl is nice and thin and the bark looks great.I agree lose the foot or make it smaller otherwise Nice work.
    Ken

Excellent first NE! My first NE looked awful but I can't bring myself to toss it. Yours OTOH is unquestionably a keeper!

In critiquing it, I would suggest a considerably smaller foot. Otherwise it's great.

Nice work, the sanding and finishing look strong. Technically speaking it looks good to me.

As for form and flow, I agree that the foot should go, or be smaller. I think that a foot looks good when it gently lifts, without anchoring. Maybe a bit shorter on the foot too. I also tend to not like feet on a bowl that has a lot of curve direction changes, like the S-curve that you have. For me, if it has that added complexity I try to keep the rest simple.

BTW, Great job keeping the bark on.

I like what you did with the mouth of the bowl. By flaring the lip it exposes more surface area of the bark edge which is great. It ain't easy either. Good job on holding it together. It also looks like a great finish. Overall it's a great first NE.

As for the bottom part of the bowl, I like the chaos of the natural edge to be the only interesting focal point. If it's got bark on it (at the rim or in an inclusion) that's what I want someone to see on the natural edge pieces. That's why I stay away from ogee styling on natural edge bowls because it adds another element that pulls away from the parts I want people to focus on.

The flare is great though. It pulls your eye right to the rim. Good job.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Brian that is a great looking NE. I agree that the foot is to long and to big. A smaller more delicate foot would really make it for shape.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow Brian - beautiful bowl! Haven't seen poplar with that much curl!

Have to agree with others in that the foot should be smaller and more of a continuation of the existing curve instead of an abrupt change in direction.

Hey, I like this bowl! Great job on the finish!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful work, especially for a first! I would have a similar comment to the other posters: the base is too fat for the rest of the form. Make the foot smaller and make the transition from the sides more elegant, and you've got a definite winner.

For comparison, here's a similar form I did, and I had the same criticism about it...if I did this again it would be a little shorter with a smaller foot and base, if I made a foot at all.

It was about my 10th bowl, so you're doing really well

-Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yup....very pretty piece and a smaller foot would be a perfect touch to this piece. Very nicely done.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Exclamation

That's one niiice bow Mr.Brownl!!!!
    Have wood, will turn!!