hello everyone

i'm new to the boards but i've been doing wood working for about 2 years maybe, anyway i'm gitting ready to start a new project i thought i would share with all of you

i posted a wanted add to buy a beall threading tool with no hits so i've decided to come up with my own using there basic idea using a router to cut the threads and a tap to cut the internal threads for taps(nuts).

ive order the taps after looking for about a week on google (i have very little time about an hour each night) 1/2" X 8tpi, 3/4" x 6tpi, and 1" x 6tpi
all are high speed steal and i got them pretty cheap at $15.00 for the set

so i went to usplastics.com and bought some hdpe(High Density Polyethylene) total cost for 8' pc of 1 1/4" rod was $24.11 which i will be drilling out and taping to cut the external threads which i will only be using about 6" which roughly is a $1.50

i have a neighbor that has a sawmill and i'm taking a piece of Osage Orange(or hedge the local name for it around here) to be sawn into 1 1/2" slabs for the base of threading tool for a cost of 7.5 cents for a pc 3"Wx12''L for 3 pcs a total cost of 22.5 cents (but remember i'm suppling the logs) does seem alittle cheap hmmm have to check into this again

mounting the router i'm going to find a pc of 3/16" X 3" x 12" pcs of steel
and mount it using a couple of screws so i can change to differnt size dies
cost $0.33 /lb shouldnt be anymore then 5 bucks

the peices for clamping down the routher will be made out of 1/8" x 1/2" stock. i havent come up with the length yet but these shouldnt cost any more then a $1.00 to make

i'm going to order the bit from lee valley for $22.99 its a special 60 deg carbide router bit(the most expensive part)

Misc.
4- 1 1/4" wood screws $0.40
2- #6 machine screws $0.54
2- #6 wing nuts $0.50

so after looking at a few major retailers and dreaming about someday buying the beall small size kit which is $134.99 from lee valley
i've made my own for around $46 saying everything goes as planned

i'll try and have some pictures up over the next couple of weeks
untill then share your comments
later kevin