Thread: This true? Sawstop w/Dado

This true? Sawstop w/Dado

Hijacked from another forum..(there's more SS owners here)..
    There's one thing about the dado setup you should know that wasn't clear to me before buying. I had the impression you could run a dado blade without the dado brake if you were willing to disarm the safety system. This is apparently not true because the initial diagnostics will detect a fault if the regular brake is used with a dado set and the system will not let you fire it up. So, spending the additional $90 for the dado brake cartridge is a requirement if you intend to run a dado set in the saw.

Dado Cartridge

This was taken directly from the "Specifications" page of the SawStop website:

Dado diameter: 8" (requires a separate brake cartridge)

http://www.sawstop.com/products-cabi...ifications.htm

Hope that helps answer your question...........

I saw the same post. That's something that I haven't checked into because I wouldn't want to try it. Dadoing seems to be as dangerous or perhaps more dangerous than sawing with a single blade. I don't even own a dado set yet, but I bought a dado brake for $89. I figured I'd need it in the future.

At least one of the accidents I've seen posted thus far with a SawStop was because someone hit a hidden knot when dadoing plywood. The wood suddenly stopped and the GrrRipper he was using tipped forward sending his thumb into the blade. Now, perhaps he wasn't using the Grrripper correctly, but I didn't see a reason for spending that much on a saw only to disarm the safety system to cut a dado.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

At 2% of the overal cost of my SS why not have the dado brake.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

My original plan was to not buy the dado cartridge because of cost and nuisance considerations, and to use the bypass when dadoing. But I think you're right, the bypass isn't an option.
    I did buy the dado cartridge and have used it. It really doesn't take much time to switch cartridges and make the initial clearance adjustment on the dado cartridge. And what a sweet cut!

Yes, if you want to utilize a dado in the SawStop, you will need a dado brake. Keep in mind it can't be a 6" dado, has to be an 8" dado.

The 'bypass' in a SawStop system only bypasses the contact detection capabilities for subsequent cut(s) until the paddle is 'off'ed' (Singlish terminology). The SawStop will not even turn the blade until a brake is mounted in the correct position (nickel's distance from the blade).
    If you wish to bypass that safety feature, like I did this past weekend for damp 2x6 cedar, it's a 2-handed process (turning the bypass key and flipping the paddle 'on') that is reset as soon as you kick the paddle in.

If that didn't make sense, and knowing me it didn't, try this: No blade will turn unless an appropriate brake is installed and in the correct position from the blade. You can bypass the contact detection temporarily, but only after the contact detection is functional.

Blog Entries
    After the cost of the saw I would think $90 for the safety you've paid for would be very incidental. Don't drive that Volvo without your seat belts on ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler