Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thank You Epilog

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I've had 3 Gateways and a Sony--all were excellent. I also had some early laptops which were really slow but that was the technology at the time.

Just bought an Acer laptop with Vista--worst purchase I've ever made. I think it's Vista rather than Acer.

we just got an Acer laptop, but without Vista... we opted to have XP, and its great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bosworth View Post
    I guess Engineers are hard to accept change.
    Graphic artists are too. For a number of years PCs have had all the same programs for graphic design that the Mac has, and they work exactly the same on a PC as a Mac. But Apple has somehow maintained the illusion that it is better for graphics than a PC. It's a holdover from the days when Apple gave huge discounts to schools and students. People that were trained on one type of computer tend to stick to that kind.

On the other hand, the majority of the CAD software I use is not available for the Mac, so I stick to PCs (though I do have one Mac).
    Dave Jones -- Epilog Mini-24, 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, Creative Suite CS2

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang View Post
    I am getting ready to replace one of the computer here at the shop. It was going to be a Dell.
    I ran several Dell servers out of my home. One (main web server) ran for nine years 24/7, no problems(NT4). I had another one that ran for about four years(2000) same deal.

I have two going now that run 24/7, one is four years old and the other two years. These were machines I bought off Dell outlet. Machines that were returned for one reason or another but were really cheap. If one is concerned about lost data, I recommend a usb backup drive. They're cheap and good way to store customer data, designs.

[QUOTE=Mike Mackenzie;579429]Oh My God
    1 Vista computer (this will be the first to go)

C'mon Mike!! Tell us how you REALLY feel

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Mike you rat! ( insert laugh here) Pack Rat that is. I thought *I* was bad with 5 computers. Three Dell one hp one compaq.

Back to Ed's question though, I would still recommend Dell. I have had 5 ( three currently) and two in a previous life.

I have only had ONE problem and that was on my insprion 1150 notebook, on which I am typing this. The fan went out so it would overheat and shutdown. I called Dell and THE next day, the tech was here with the fan had it in and I was up and running within an hour....and I"m in the middle of the pacific.....

I know some folks have had problems with Dell but they are still the best VALUE in my book. Just don't buy the cheap ones.

Just my two cents. Want change?

Chuck Burke
    American Pacific Awards
    Maui Hawaii.

Well, I bought an Inspiron 5100 laptop. Pentium 4. 512 ram. DVD drive (burner) to run the laser. Most of the time if you shut it off then start it back the screen comes up upside down, or side ways or with huge icons. Almost never starts up the right way the first time. It's got a bad line running up and down on the screen. The DVD player dosen't play movies very well and the sound is horrible. The battery lasts all of 6 minutes from full charge and the last time I unplugged it for a few minutes (to use upstairs) and I plugged it in up there, then went back downstairs to plug it back in along with the laser, it wouldn't send the jobs over to the laser. I'm just lucky I guess.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

18 year old genius

Sounds like you need a youngster to keep it running. Luckily, we have the young lad, OK, so he is 25, but still is considered to be our young lad. Whenever the Queen or I have a problem with any of our computers, we just whine about it. IT doesn't take too long before he is saying, out out, leave it alone and I'll fix it. So we wander away for a few minutes and it is all back up and running.