Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, another plane

Yes, another plane

I know you are all probably getting tired of seeing the plane refurb's I've done and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea either but I just gotta show you this one. This one was by far the most difficult one I've done but also one of the better. I usually don't mess with the jappaning but this one left me no choice. There was literally almost NO jappaning and what was there was just flaking off. So I found a satin enamel that worked quite well and was pleased with the results. When I got this one (for $52.00 by the way) I thought I might have bitten off more than I can chew. But alas, after a few hours of grinding, sanding and such...here she is in all her glory:
    Attached Images Attached Images

and a few more...

...and the last shots.Sorry if this is overkill!

Beautiful

It feels good to see your photos of restoration. Tools that would otherwize be neglected start a new life with your well executed work.

Thanks for sharing-

If you ever figure out how to fix those lever cap chips...let me know. Got my share of those.

Dean

What's not to like about seeing nice tools brought back to life? I certainly enjoy it, despite being somewhat tailed when it comes to my woodworking activities, although I'm learning more and more about using hand tools. Keep 'em coming!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Terry, I like seeing your work..... and this one had to be work. WELL DONE...,and thanks for sharing
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

nothing wrong with posting shiny metal
    would you mind sharing how you clean your planes, I have done a few and am always on the lookout for more efficient methods.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Terry,

Great work! I have done a few myself and have always enjoyed bringing them back from the grave. I will have to keep an eye out for the paint you used. I have used epoxy paint made for appliances and it is just a little to glossy to mimick japanning. I'll dig through my plane parts bin and see if I have the appropriate lever cap for your plane. Can't make any promisies, but I think I may have one buried in there somewhere.

Which brand of enamel do you use? I've got a type 11 3C that needs re-doing.
    -Ryan C.

Terry,

You're getting quite good at this, Too bad about the lever cap, but you can probably pick one up somewhere along the way. It really was a nice rehab.

Ron Brese

Looks great Terry. Did you repair or replace the tote and knob? And why can't I ever find anything like this? I did find an 8C Union this past weekend but the mouth was a disaster so it was left for another day.

Mark

Terry,

I enjoy your plane restoration pics.

Where did you get the new tote and knob? Did you make them or buy them?

What technique did you use to get the rust off?

Tell us what kind of paint you used.

Thanks!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Wow, thanks for the kind words guys! Let me try and answer your questions as best I can and I'll post some pics of the process and products I use when I get home today. Zahid, if you're looking for a more efficient method don't look to me,HA!! My approach is pretty straight foward. Mostly sanding, grinding, polishing and oh yeah, sweating! This one was a little different though because I don't use any chemicals normally but the lack of japanning left me no choice. As for my methods, I started this one by disassembling the plane and spraying a paint stripper on the bed and frog. Several times(3-4). Spray...wait...scrub and rinse. Repeat. After I dried off the bed and frog I wire wheeled all the soon-to-be japanned surfaces on the drill press and with a dremel to get in the tight areas. This left a real smooth surface for the paint. Next I sprayed about 3-4 coats of the Rustoleum satin black enamel and let it dry for a couple of hours. Then I used my normal process. Using a scrap of granite(4"x20") and some 120 grit sandpaper, I sand the sides, bottom, cap, top and bottom of the frog and any other non-japanned areas until all the rust is gone(once again I go to the dremel for the tight areas and use a mini sanding drum). This where the sweat comes in! I also hit all the screws and such as well(not the brass parts, they go straight to the wire wheel step). Next I go to the wire wheel being careful not to remove the enamel. Then I put her back together oiling all the parts as I go.
    As for the knob and tote, yes they are a replacement. I've gotten better at this, but I'm not that good,HA! They are real rosewood and a bargain at $30.00 for the set:http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...ROD&ProdID=635. I also get the Hock iron and chipbreaker there as well($30 for the chipbreaker and $40 for the iron). The Hock blade and CB are what makes this plane(and my others) a real "hot rod"!
    Thanks once again for the kind words. I am really pleased with the outcome and especially the "japanning". I had tried some different enamels in the past and none looked quite right. I like to think the process I use doesn't go too far. My planes usually look less like a new plane and more like a well cared for classic. I believe part of this is due to the fact I don't use really low grit sandpaper and I don't shine anything to a mirror finish. There is still some age showing through at 120 grit! As I said, I'll post some more pics later and hey Fred, if you do find a cap let me know, it would be great! Thanks again, guys.

These are some pics of the stripper and enamel I used and also a bit of the process including: granite block with sandpaper and the wire wheels(coarse and fine) at the drill press.

Lo Terry,beautiful work and a way cool tool!

Thank you for posting your pictures and for the information.You did a great job with that #6 Bedrock! I'm new to posting,and new to tool restoration, as a knuckledragger/user I like your technique and the results.

About two weeks ago I picked up a fair (rusty no pitting)type 11#7for$65,cleaned it up and took it for a spin on a DF 2x4,worked fine.For my bday indulgence I picked up a Hock 23/8 blade and chipbreaker at The Japan Woodworker over in Alameda.Problem is the mouth is so tight that with proper bedding I can just see a hairline of light. My question isTerry did you have to make any alterations to fit the Hock blade and chipbreaker into that beauty of a Bedrock,or just fettle a bit?
    Apoligies for the long windedness.I can only say I'm new at posting on forums.Me a culpa!