Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Domino - PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC

I have a dowel jig that I rarely use anymore, a Kreg pocket hole jig that I like to use on cabinet faces and some other situations, and my PC biscuit jointer that is my go-to for gluing wide boards. Before getting my biscuit jointer I did most wide panels with a dowel jig. So, I was very impressed with the ease and alignment ability of a biscuit jointer. That price is crazy… I don’t think I would buy one for half the price. Well maybe half price I would, because I'm a hopeless tool junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    OP here. Still have both. Definitely keeping the Kreg. Still not sure about the biscuit. Haven't bought the Domino yet either. Guess you could say I take my time with my decision-making.
    You procrastinate more than I do! I am the king of paralysis by analysis!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    You procrastinate more than I do! I am the king of paralysis by analysis!
    To be fair, you do need to produce something to justify these tools.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jarnell View Post
    To be fair, you do need to produce something to justify these tools.
    I can understand the wisdom in your statement but I have never needed anything more than "man that is cool" to justify a tool, that may not mean I can afford it but it usually means if I can afford it I will... man that is cool...

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I have never needed anything more than "man that is cool" to justify a tool,
    I could not have said it any better.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Cool

I have to agree 100% with Per. Many, many years ago I did get rid of maybe four tools, only to find later that I needed, or at least wished I still had them. That changed my whole thinking, so for the last 45+ years, the only time I EVER get rid of a tool is if I find that I actually HATE the thing, and then it is GONE, (usually given away, but a couple of times, I hated the thing so much that I wouldn't even give it to anyone else and just threw it in the trash). I have become more selective as to quality, accuracy, ease of use and total usefulness before I make tool purchases, but I think that comes from experience one gains over the years. I also really hate seeing the loss of hard earned dollars go out the door when you sell a used tool. I'll just keep all of mine and enjoy using them when their use is appropriate, no matter how seldom that might be, then someone else can get further use out of them "AFTER" I'm gone. :D
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    I have to agree 100% with Per. Many, many years ago I did get rid of maybe four tools, only to find later that I needed, or at least wished I still had them. That changed my whole thinking, so for the last 45+ years, the only time I EVER get rid of a tool is if I find that I actually HATE the thing, and then it is GONE, (usually given away, but a couple of times, I hated the thing so much that I wouldn't even give it to anyone else and just threw it in the trash). I have become more selective as to quality, accuracy, ease of use and total usefulness before I make tool purchases, but I think that comes from experience one gains over the years. I also really hate seeing the loss of hard earned dollars go out the door when you sell a used tool. I'll just keep all of mine and enjoy using them when their use is appropriate, no matter how seldom that might be, then someone else can get further use out of them "AFTER" I'm gone.
    Where are you going?
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

I have the Domino, Dewalt biscuit joiner and a Kreg. I use all three, but since I got my Jessum dowling jig, it seems to be my "go to" tool. lots of ways to skin a cat, but I find the dowling jig to be the easiest of all to use and it produces a very strong joint. Domino is great for some applications, but with the price difference ($600) I'd get the jessum first and see if you still feel you pine for a Domino. At $200, it is a great alternative to a Domino.

The Domino machine takes advantage of Loose Tenon Joinery. The technique appealed to me, but is it really necessary to incur the hefty price just to have a system where you bring the machine to the work? When, for less money, you could bring the work to the machine.

So, I buy the Domino tenon stock in multiple sizes and cut the mortises with a router. There are a number of great guides available for mortise routing. Jessem, being one of them. I use the WoodRat. That's when great strength is needed. Biscuits seem to do a good job on casework. And the fact is, having a biscuit joiner gets me working, whereas I would be thinking about it instead of doing it.

The Domino is an incredible concept. If you have $900 lying around loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Wright View Post
    lots of ways to skin a cat,
    Indeed, thats part of the problem it is a constant excuse to lust after or buy the great new cat skinner. This cat skinner produces a perfectly even pelt which varies no more than 1 micron over the entire surface, so delicately the cat doesn't feel it and so quickly it takes the average cat 3 minutes to realize it is nude.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post

Do not factor cost into this discussion. Let's keep it to functionality only.
    Keep them both. Never ever sell a tool that is paid for. Remember the one that has the most in the end wins.