Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Domino - PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC

Blog Entries
    I used about a dozen biscuits and then sold my PC-557 (which was a wonderful tool) to someone who would use it more. The pocket hole jig I would miss more. A Kreg mini is only $20 complete and can do many jobs where a few pocket holes are required. I use the mini a lot despite having other Kreg equipment so I would not hesitate to sell what you have if you could get a good price. Otherwise, for the cost a half a dozen boxes of dominoes, I'd keep it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have had this Elu Biscuit joiner for 20 years, works differently to the normal push ones, I couldn't do without it, the fence that registers the slot is missing of this one.

http://goo.gl/pmWYU
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Out of curiosity - I wonder what the OP sold - either or both in the last 4 years since this thread started?
    OP here. Still have both. Definitely keeping the Kreg. Still not sure about the biscuit. Haven't bought the Domino yet either. Guess you could say I take my time with my decision-making.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    OP here. Still have both. Definitely keeping the Kreg. Still not sure about the biscuit. Haven't bought the Domino yet either. Guess you could say I take my time with my decision-making.
    You ain't kidding Rob! Slow down there mister impetuous! If you are still collecting opinions, I'd keep the pocket hole jig and loose the biscuit jointer. I'd actually probably just keep them all at this point, but the pocket screws can act as a clamp in some pretty off situations, neither the domino nor the biscuits can do that. I the screws more as a clamping mechanism to back up a glue joint than as the actual joint at this point. I built one cabinet recently that had dowels, biscuits, pocket screws, and loose tenons in one unit. Each was put to my concept of its best usage.

Not sure what happened there, but message lost.

My biggest use of pocket screws is holding table tops down to aprons, and I would not give that up .. The Domino is a great tool and I suppose will replace many of the tasks Pocket screws are used for, but not all .. certainly not completely..

This is just my personal philosophy. I have the domino and the kreg jig. My neighbor has a biscuit joiner. What I have like is a feeling of minimalism. I am moving away from my Kreg jig and will only use the domino. I am still fairly new to woodworking, and once I can do everything with the domino, I see no need to use the kreg: I will sell it or give it away. I no longer borrow the biscuit joiner.

Thus, I would only keep what I will use and if I had more than one item, I would find a way to do the same task with the domino. But again, this is a personal feeling for minimalism. If I am not going to use a tool, or do not want to use it, why keep it. Put it in the hands of someone who can benefit from it.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

Every time a tool comes out, there is another being engineered that will do the same and better. Kreg pocket has seen Porter Cable come out with a mighter pocket system, Leigh dovetail saw Porter do the same again so my point is this, while these tools serve a purpose when we first get them, there will be others that "improve" on the process.

You have to make your own justification for the tools around your shop. If you don't use something then it just sits around collecting sawdust. What ever someone writes here it will be you in the end that has the decision to make. It almost sounds like you made up your mind but just wants confirmation that it was a good one. Good Luck
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Morgan View Post
    It almost sounds like you made up your mind but just wants confirmation that it was a good one.
    What gives you that impression? I have not yet made up my mind on the biscuit joiner. I was very clear on that in my last post.

Once again, thanks to all that provided USEFUL information.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Just to qualify a little bit, my upcoming projects include a lot of built-in cabinetry using both hardwood and sheet goods. Tables and bookshelves also. I also have a lot of shop projects on my plate.

Do not factor cost into this discussion. Let's keep it to functionality only.
    I've highlighted the part that I think should be the deciding factor. I'd believe that the Pocket-hole jig and the biscuit joiner would be more useful to you in building cabinets, especially if you're doing face-frame cabinets that the Domino... Now, if you were making a lot of furniture with M&T joints, I'd tend to lean towards the Domino.

I always align boards for glue up with a biscuit joiner, quick and easy.

Not keen on screwing table top to apron, tends to restrict and can cause splitting.

I use a z clip that runs in a groove and allows movement.

I thought the domino would replace the kreg jig but I held off on selling mine just in case and it turns out they both complement each other very well. The domino aligns everything and the kreg clamps everything.

For cabinet carcasses, I've found the biscuit joiner is faster to use than the Domino, and I don't really need the added strength, only alignment. Further, if you use a biscuit joiner as a spline on mitered corners (like boxes) using 3/4" material, you will probably find that the Domino plunges too deep and blows out the back of the miter. I still use Kreg screws to hold the carcase together. I bought the old Domino on sale when they were bringing out the new design. I still have all three tools. I could probably get by without the biscuit joiner, but see no reason to sell it, as it does some things faster and better than my Domino.

I would have thought the new Domino was for bigger jobs, therefore requiring both?

What gives you that impression? I have not yet made up my mind on the biscuit joiner. I was very clear on that in my last post.

Once again, thanks to all that provided USEFUL information.
    Since you cant read I'll help you "ALMOST"

But then again you did say and I quote "I don't want this to turn ugly. "
    Last edited by Doug Morgan; 12-09-2011 at 9:04 PM.
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...