Thread: Spent the Morning with my Old Green Friend the Tormek

Spent the Morning with my Old Green Friend the Tormek

I like sharpening as much as the next guy...but, with the Tormek its almost fun. I usually wait til everything is fairly dull and do them all at once...while your set up it doesn't take much more time to do many tools. I have had the Tormek for about 5 years and have arrived at some time saving techniques.
    1. First I put a piece of solid walnut or other medium hardwood in the vise....this will be used as a tester for planes, test each and see if they need sharpening.
    2. Chisels I test on a piece of MDF ...it is always the same and you can get a good reading as to sharpness.
    3. I bring over all the chisels by removing the entire drawer from the tool chest.
    4.if they have been sharpened before the backs are honed and the primary bevel is ground so it will only typically need the secondary bevel honed or many times just stropping on the leather wheel.
    5. I place the chisel or plane blade in the jig and adjust the angle by eye til it the bevel id tangent to the wheel. Then I tighten it a bit and flip the blade up and with a blue thick marker , mark the bevel
    6.Now I move the blade in contact with the wheel and turn the wheel by hand...the blue ink will rub off at the point of contact. This preliminary step tells you where the bevel will be honed and if it is square. Now you can adjust the blade to correct the position.. Raising the back guidepost moves the bevel closer to the edge...this is where the secondary bevel is honed...approx 1/8" only...this preserves the life of the tool.
    7. I do all tools in this manner before stropping.
    8. I apply mineral oil generously to the wheel not 2 drops like the book says. Then a small amount of honing paste...strop each side with medium to firm pressure...I don't use a guide just hold the tool at the correct angle.
    9.Check each on the MDF for sharpness
    !0 Reassmble planes and test on the board in the vise.
    11. Done

It actually goes quite fast and the results are great. I have purchased most of the accessories and they work very well. I can do an excellent job on my 8" jointer knives...this will save money over time. Planer blades are tricky...you have to move the blade..the results are good.
    No I don't work for Tormek...

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-01-2004 at 8:25 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I was as skeptical as anyone about the value of the Tormek, especially considering the price tag. But, after trying to get the results I kept seeing the Tormek deliver with other machines, and realizing I was spending way too much on them, jigs, stones etc, I got the Tormek and life has been simple ever since.
    I was probably most shocked at how much better my turing chisels worked. It was like my turning got better overnight. Of course, my hand planes and bench chisels suddenly began working better than ever as well.
    It is expensive, but in the long run I think the Tormek is a very good investment.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Tom,
    I was a proficient sharpener before the Tormek...waterstones...sandpaper on granite slipstones and all...with and without honing guides...but the Tormek greatly improved my woodworking...I could never go back.. and like with jointer knives I will eventually save money over sending them out...if I ever changed my mind its worth almost what I paid on the used market!
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Lightbulb

Obi Won K'nobi had a "old Green Friend" Yoda who helped sharpen Luke Skywalker's Skills as a Jedi so that he could face his Father "Darth Vader"...

What was George Lukas thinking?

TORMEK?! (that would have been a better name than Yoda)

I always thought George looked like a wood worker..
    love makes life happen