Thread: Grizzly Repair

Grizzly Repair

I was considering purchasing a Grizzly jointer and a Grizzly planer. Based on prior posts, it appears that many of you are extremely happy with their Grizzly tools. Has anyone had problems getting their Grizzly tools repaired? My local wood store (who sells Powermatic, Delta, Steel City, etc...) told me that it is hard to find people who work on Grizzly tools. Has anyone had this problem? Should I be concerned?

I have not had to take any of my Grizzly tools into be repaired. However, they did ship me two new motors for my table saw, when as it turned out (and insert some egg on my face here) I was installing the motor incorrectly. Their service is top notch in my book. Getting the switch replaced on my Delta planer, which was indeed, defective and under warranty was a bigger pain the @$$

Pat

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    What kind of breakdowns are you thinking of ??

Belts, pulleys, electrical, .. .. all within the realm of owner repairs. Bearings/arbor may wear some day .. mine are still fine after13 years, but you never know .. .. still not too difficult a job for the average handy guy.

Methinks your local brand-name guys are a tad jealous and are to some degree trying to intimidate you.

Ask them, who repairs their stuff a year down the road when the warranty expires, and at what cost. Grizzly will actually walk you through removing parts and making repairs at any time. Ask what Delta/Powermatic/JET will do for you.

I'm all for buying local IF I think I may need support, but at the prices most of the "big guys: charge, I could justify buying a replacement Grizz. product.

I am unsure as to what type of repairs would be necessary, however, the store owner made it seem like it would be a pain. Normally I would ignore these types of comments because they, of course, want me to purchase their machines. Here, the store is "going out of business" and will be closed within the month. They have a few tools left but not enough to make me think they were trying to make a sale.

I would like to know what brand you are going to find anyone to work on them. My dealer here in town does have a service department but they are their more for the pro shops that use high end equipment. My dealer even said for home owners the service department is going to be priced too high for you to even consider using them.
    If you are going to do woodworking you better learn how to make repairs on your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by adam prochaska View Post
    I am unsure as to what type of repairs would be necessary, however, the store owner made it seem like it would be a pain. Normally I would ignore these types of comments because they, of course, want me to purchase their machines. Here, the store is "going out of business" and will be closed within the month. They have a few tools left but not enough to make me think they were trying to make a sale.
    Going out of business, huh? Gee, I wonder why? Bad advice maybe?

If your buying tools planning that someone else will be your repair person don't bother is my opinion. I have never never expected anyone to repair my tools. If I am good enough to have tools I am good enough to repair them otherwise I wouldn't have tools. I am my own warranty repair person for the most part I get the parts & do the work. The exception would be small electric hand tools & I have yet to need service in this area. My Dad's Senco air guns will go in to be rebuilt as needed & they have lots of years on them.

I recommend that if your going to have tools learn to care for & tune & repair them as much as possible your self.

Oh by the way I have 4 Grizzly tools 14" band-saw, Portable planer, Floor model Drill Press, DC & ShopFox Mortiser & would not hesitate to buy more. In fact when & if it becomes possible I'll buy my friends older G1018 65" long bed jointer he wants the 75" Grizzly long bed jointer. My shop is to small for the 75" jointer.

My friend has the Grizzly jointer , Cabinet saw, 14" band-saw big Spindle sander, slow speed Combo sander, Edge sander,DC. Previously he had their 16" band-saw & lathe & a few other Grizzly tools that were lost in a shop fire.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 05-04-2007 at 8:39 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Adam, I just ordered a Grizzly lathe and the headstock had some problems. I can assure you dealing with Grizzly NOT a PITA. I immediately got through to their customer service, and they have answered ALL my emails in a very timely manner. As a matter of fact, I sent an email this morning just to check on the status of the replacement and they replied within 1.5 hours. I will be buying Grizzly tools again for my woodworking needs.

Actually, I did have a problem with my new Grizzly 20 in planer that they were able to fix over the phone.(how's that for service). They told me to get the blade sharpened. I did and all my problems dissappeared.

Fred Mc.

I just recieved and set up a G0452 6 inch jointer and a G0454 20 inch planer. I am very excited! From what I can see so far, they were money well spent. I also own G1023 SL table saw which I have had for about a year. I have made five or so cabinets on it along with numerous small projects. It was a great buy.