Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just showing off....

Thanks Fred.

Prices being what they are, an eBay 604 1/2 ($280 - $350) plus a Hock/LN/LV replacement blade will cost more that the LN 4 1/2.

And then there's the LV 4 1/2 at $209. I've not heard anything about how these planes perform but if they're as good as the BU series of planes they should be quite good.

Anyone have one?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Cool

Great thread with some super posts. I must admit that I haven't stepped out on the "slippery slope" yet, but posts like this and the seminar I took on sharpening this weekend are getting me headed in the right direction. I'm getting excited about the possibilities when using planes as opposed to my power tools.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Not sure what all is in this bunch any more. #3, #4, #4 1/2C, #5C, # 5 1/4, #5 1/2C, #605, #10 1/2, #6C, #7C for starters, with a couple block planes, shoulder planes, and spokeshaves thrown in. Obviously all need a good cleaning, but for now, since moving, they are all in storage boxes. :-(

Hey, could you put up some pics of the 10 1/2? I'm thinking I might get ahold of a T.11 4C and make my own to match my other T.11 Cs.
    -Ryan C.

5. Very nice collection of planes, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cathey View Post
    Hey, could you put up some pics of the 10 1/2? I'm thinking I might get ahold of a T.11 4C and make my own to match my other T.11 Cs.
    Ryan,
    I'll try to dig it out of the box it's being stored in sometime over the next couple days and get some pics. I'll either post them here or email them to you. Please keep in mind it is still in the same condition as when I bought it at a flea market/antique mall (for $17.50 ), meaning it's not nice and shiny restored yet. But it's not all rusted up either.

Dave

I fell down the slope a few years ago.
    I quit counting at 80.

But I just sold 4 bedrocks.

I just acquired a #8 type 13 off of ebay to finish off my set of type 13's.
    I have all of them now with the exception of a #1.

8. what is this plane?

It's mine. It's a Victor plane made by Leonard Bailey. I'm not sure about the time line(I'm sure there are others who are) but from what I understand it was made either before Stanley bought Bailey's design or right after. Leonard Bailey made planes under a couple of different company names including Victor(notice the LB in the center ring of the knob). The depth adjustment set up is unique. There's a large wheel behind the frog that has an offset pin which fits in a series of holes in the iron(see pic). Turning the wheel pushes the pin up or down and the balde along with it. This is a rabbet plane with a nicker on the right side (you can see the small knurled knob inside the casting for setting the depth). Look 'em up on the 'bay they pop up on occasion, although this is the only rabbet one I've ever seen. I just saw a jointer go yesterday or the day before.

Impressive guys! I'm such a beginner...

I'd be hella more interested to see what you guys have made with these fancy tools than the fancy tools themselves.

12. Is there any drawback to the corrugated soles? They seemed more common than the plain soles last time at the flea market.