Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just showing off....

Just showing off....

Hey all!

As you folks often say, it's a slippery slope! My first "real" plane was a newer model Stanley 60 1/2 I got from Lee Valley about a year and a half ago. The next was only a few months later, the Veritas BUJ. Then i started saving my pennies for a BU Jack but low and behold eBay got into my blood. Today i'm the proud owner of 40 various planes and shaves and a few more are in the mail to me right now! I know, it's time to build them a home but ......

Shown (L to R) are a Millers Falls #8 Never used/never sharpened
    Sweet Heart 78 mint
    #40 scrub
    3 #3's one mint/unused
    Mint Sargent VBM #3 sized
    4 #4's
    Sargent #3411 Transtional
    2 4 1/2's
    Veritas BUS
    5 1/4
    3 #5's
    Sargent 414
    Miller falls #14 Mint/unused
    Veritas BUJ
    comming 'round R to L
    Veritas medium shoulder plane
    Spokeshaves... 2- #151's #64 #52 #51
    Veritas scraper
    Veritas flush plane
    9 1/2
    60 1/2
    some various unamed block planes
    #99 and #98
    and on the shelf is a #5 1/2C and a #6C
    Not shown is a #12 scraper (out to get the sole flattened)

All but a coup[le od these are tuned and in good working order with 3 having aftermarket blades and chipbreakers.

So, care to show me your collection!?!?!

Brian

Anyway, here's the required pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

LN 8C
    LN 5 1/2C
    LN 4 1/2C HA
    LN 62
    LN 40 1/2
    LN 112
    LN 85
    LN 9 Mitre
    LN 073
    LN 97 1/2
    LN 60 1/2R
    LN 9 1/2
    LN 60 1/2
    LN 140R N
    Stanley 71P Router (US)
    Stanley 151 (SW)

On order:
    LN 4C Bronze
    LN Lg Router
    LN Side Rabbet Planes
    Last edited by Fred Gross; 05-05-2007 at 1:29 AM. Reason: Add list.

Mine aren't part of a collection!

I do have a grouping of hand planes, but it's not a collection.

Here they are.

Figure 1 – Bench Planes.

My bench planes from left to right are a No. 8 Jointer Plane, a No. 4-1/2 Smoothing Plane, a No. 4 Smoothing Plane and a No. 5-1/2 Jack Plane. I also have a modern (a.k.a. crappy) English made Stanley Bailey No. 4 that I forgot to include in the picture. The Stanley was my first plane and I don't use it much any more. It is reserved for planing stuff that I don't want to put my good planes anywhere near.

Figure 2 – Block Planes.

The block planes from left to right are a No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane, a No. 9-1/2 Standard Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane, a No. 60-1/2 Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane, a No.140L Skew Rabbet Block Plane (Left) and a No. 140 Skew Rabbet Block Plane (Right). The 9-1/2 block plane is the latest addition. I won it by taking part in an online survey being conducted by Australian Wood Review magazine.

Figure 3 – Other Planes.

My other planes are a No. 043 Small Plough Plane, a No. 271 Small Router Plane and a No. 042 Medium Shoulder Plane.
    Regards,
    Ian.

Brian,

The first part of that slope is real steep, ain't it?

Nice tools.

Hank

Fred, i like how you've organized/store your planes, gives me an idea or two.

You've got a good selection there Ian. All those LN's are making me envious

Yep, the first part of that slope sure is slick! I hope is level's off a bit before i go the LN route I must admit these Stanley / Miller Falls / Sargent perform quite well but the Bedrock line of which i have none is sure attractive but $$$

Keep 'm coming guys!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Brian,

Thanks for posting the list and the photo. Recently I read your post sayin you have 40 planes after about a year on the slippin' slide and I was going to ask you to tell us what you have. Thanks!

I am also into this one year. I'll post when I get near a camera, but I won't need as big a camera as you used.

Other Brian

Fred, I notice several of your planes are C's. I have a couple LN planes, but no C's. My question is, do you think the corrogated bottom makes a big difference in performance? I guess you do, or you wouldn't have paid extra for it.

I have not seen any LN's that were corrogated, just wondering why, and why you chose to have it done.

Thanks!

Nice collection, by the way.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Brian, your story sounds a lot like mine. I started with that same 60 1/2 (Lowe's) and had a few of my grandfather's planes, then...eBay!! Slippery slope INDEED!!! Now I'm not sure how many I have and frankly I'm not sure I want to know. Much like you too, I need to build a home for my planes. Problem is, I keep adding more!!! Will it ever stop? Any way here's some pics.
    Bedrocks:603,604,604 1/2,605,606,607.
    some others:
    98 & 99
    112 & 12
    5 1/2
    5 1/4
    92 & 93
    Leonard Bailey plane (pre Stanley?) see pic
    9 1/2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where did you find that pre-Stanley Bailey?
    -Ryan C.

My wife and I took over the family cabinet business 2+ years ago(officially in Jan. though). When I started there (it's my wife's family) I was suprised to find a few hand planes at the shop that no one used and that little beauty was mixed in with some crappy '50s stanley handymans. Quite a find!

Dang...some people have all the luck! Nice score!
    -Ryan C.

Martin,
    Lie-Nielsen sells the corrugated versions on their website. There's always been a debate on whether it is an improvement to the standard bench plane or just a good marketing ploy (designed to work on resinous woods) by Stanley. There may be a little less friction because of the smaller surface area, but that is more of a "feel" than scientific documentation. Do they perform better than a smooth sole? Probably not.

So why plunk down the extra cash? Well, if I ever do something stupid like hit a nail/screw and really gouge the sole, it is going to be a lot easier to lap the sole because I will have less material to remove. I live near the ocean and have spent alot of time away from home; it's a little easier to do routine maintenance and the corrugations minimize the faint scratches from routine use. And to be honest, I real like the look of a corrugated sole. Can't explain it, just like I can't explain why I love the look of Type 11 Bailey planes. There's just something about them.

P.S. Some collector will probably correct me, but past history seems to show corrugated planes seem to hold just a little more value.
    Last edited by Fred Gross; 05-05-2007 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Added to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Gross View Post
    I real like the look of a corrugated sole. Can't explain it, just like I can't explain why I love the look of Type 11 Bailey planes. There's just something about them.
    Amen to that. I've got two corrugated type 11s...ya just gotta love 'em!
    -Ryan C.

Ryan,

I had a set of 11's (No 3C - No 8C including the 1/2s). Those are some of the ones I will always regret parting with. Guess I'll just have to find some more....

I've pretty much decided I won't have the funds for a whole set so I'm going to look for a 7C then I'll have a 3C, 5C, and 7C.
    -Ryan C.