Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Writing Desk Project Done ! w/Photos

Shaker Writing Desk Project Done ! w/Photos

I just finished making this desk for my church auction. It went for $3,100

Here are some details about the piece...
    • The design is based very loosely on the Mayhem Reading desk at Dana Robes Gallery.
    • The bottom is cherry... the front apron/drawers were cut from the same piece (I used my Domino for the joints... very fast & precise)
    • The top is "blistered" maple (had many problems with this... see below for details)
    • The shelving unit was made from very wavy maple. I matched the top & sides. The top is unbelievably wavy, huge 3D effect with big "hills & valleys". The camera doesn't do it justice. (FYI... I can never seem to capture highly figured wood it my photos... any tips or tricks)
    • I used the Domino to make the shelving unit. Worked great for this application.
    • Drawers are made of poplar, knobs are walnut and Baltic birch plywood bottoms.
    • Here is something kind of cool... My 16 year nephew turned a pen out of the same wood as the top and included with the auction item... (You can see it on some of the photos) (My nephew & son also built a hall table for the auction.. Will post pics later)
    • I originally had a back on the shelves, but it made the piece look too "top heavy" and too dark.
    • I used the Fibonacci numbers for the shelf spacing. (I made a simple Excel spreadsheet to calculate shelves/drawers based on the Fibonacci proportions ... PM me if you would like me to send you a copy)
    Problems & Issues:
    • The Domino is very precise and it requires the user to be very precise. The biggest issue I have is the system is so precise that it requires the user to be precise as well. It's not nearly as forgiving as my biscuit joiner. Every little issues I have found (slight misalignment...) can be traced back to "pilot error"
    • I used the Domino to cut the slots on the aprons for the metal ties to attach the top. Worked really nice.
    • The top was made from 2 11" pieces. I finished the topside first with 3 coats of H20-poly (My plan was to get the topside perfect & then finish the bottom side) . This approach created an imbalance in the wood moisture and the top warped about 3/8". I posted the problem here and found out I should have applied a finish on both side at the same time. Stupid Me... Lesson learned Thanks to the advise here I finished the bottom & used a few extra metal clips to tie the top the aprons. Problem solved!!!
    • The H20 finish caused a lot of grain raising on the blistered maple top. I wet the surface with water, let it dry and lightly sanded the "fuzz". But after I apply a coat of the H20 poly, some of the grain swelled and got really big... caused a lot of unevenness on the top. I have to re-sand the top and reapply several coats to get it right.
    • I was originally afraid that the blistered maple on the top and the heavily figured shelf top would be "over the top". Luckily the blistering was subtle enough to play "second fiddle" to the wavy top on the shelf.
    Thanks for looking!

-jj
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joseph j shields; 05-05-2007 at 3:09 PM.

Very elegant!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

$3,100.00????? WOW!!! It's nice to know that some people out there appreciate hand-crafted furniture sufficiently enough to pay top dollar for them.

The desk is beautiful--I really like it!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Desk

Joseph,that is one nice piece of furniture there.I hope that you signed it someplace so that in a 100yrs,(or longer)someone will know who crafted that fine piece of furniture.

jj...it's worth every penny that it went for...and more. Well done!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Joseph -

Beautiful piece. If you don't mind, I'd love to take some of your ideas into a desk I'm building. Could you post the dimensions (L, W, H) including the top piece outside dimensions?

Thanks and nice work.

Neil

JJ-

Another beautiful piece. Very nice execution.

Superb grain matching.

The drawers are well done, and the "wrap around" top is excellent as well.

Very well done, as usual.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

8. Very nice, Desk.

Joseph,

Very nicely done. Great looking desk. I agree worth every penny..

Tom

Beautiful piece Joseph. I like the contrasting woods. A real winner there and a good cause to boot!
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Very beautiful! I like the balance and proportions and the top shelf is wonderful. I found it's easier to photgraph grain using strong lights (like halogen workshop lights used for painting etc) indoors, with some fill flash. Shoot it against a cloth backdrop and it really looks like a studio photo.

Regards
    Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Joseph,

A very beautiful production. Glad that the auction turned out well and for a good cause.
    Cannot help on the photography though as my skills are lackluster at best. A new DLSR cam and class sessions are in the future agenda as soon as time allows.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

knock-out nice Joseph!!!

Beautiful work, JJ. How much of, if any, of this was done with the EZ?

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by joseph j shields View Post
    I just finished making this desk for my church auction. It went for $3,100

-jj

Very cool! It's nice to know your work has impressed someone.
    Great job.