Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New DP Gloat - 17-950L on Base

Blog Entries

New DP Gloat - 17-950L on Base

Attachment 64083With all that's been going on in the shop this guy waited patiently for his new home. After my neighbors DP nearly took a spill on him I decided mine would need to be stable.

I'm not at the point of bolting stuff to the ground in my ongoing shop arrangement process. I'm a few generations along at being a Californian and don't even blink at most earthquakes that make the news. Just in case . . .

I built a ballast-like base about 20" x 24"

1 DP BASE MT.jpg

Dumped in about 90 lbs of redi-mix; wrapped up so as not to sneak out later.

2 DP Base Filling.jpg

Mount the base.

3 DP Metal Base.jpg

Still going . . . .

4 DP Post.jpg

And there we go.

5 DP Done.jpg

I hadn't planned on upgrading the DP for another year or so but the recent Lowes sale along with some bargaining by the LOML left me no choice. Good price, pretty nice DP compared to my "baby" Delta that I had planned on using for awhile.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-06-2007 at 11:24 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn...I have same size DP...only mine is a jet. Not real happy with the chuck. (runs out too much for my taste).
    How true does your Delta run? I've been contemplating an after market chuck....but I have been saying that for a long time.
    Gary K.

I like the idea.....

I have a 30 year old Craftsman floor DP and have only had a problem with it going over once or twice but I got it both times, very top heavy.

I could do the same thing for mine and not have to worry about moving it any more.

Thanks......

Looks good Glen, nice job.

Corey

Congratulations. I have the 17" Delta on a mobile base also, minus the weight, so far, I haven't had it tip after 4 years, but, I haven't noticed Richter scale mentioned on the local news either.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

Glenn, I too have the same drill press from Lowes. Haven't really used it as I'm in the process of slowly building my shop, and this was my first purchase. I've been losing weight and did use it to drill a couple new holes in my belt but that doesn't really count.

I love the base, it's a great idea.

Nicely done!!!!! One of these days.....I'll replace the old Crapsman DP I have and put a Powermatic in it's place.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Question

I like your idea on a stable base but, one question: WHy redi-mix instead of sand?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth Keel View Post
    I like your idea on a stable base but, one question: WHy redi-mix instead of sand?
    Heavier by volume. At least at my BORG. $2.50 for a sack doesn't hurt either.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Not real happy with the chuck. (runs out too much for my taste). How true does your Delta run?
    I've only just started running it and I do have more run-out than I think I should. I will remove the chuck and check the taper alone. If I still have run-out I'll remove the taper, clean everything and re-assemble. If I still have more than I like, I'll call Delta. If this becomes an issue, I'll post here for the result.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Thanks all. Hope this can help someone so I can repay in some small way all the great help I've gotten here.

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, that looks like a great base. Congratulations on the new DP.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries

Runout Update

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell
    Not real happy with the chuck. (runs out too much for my taste). How true does your Delta run?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I've only just started running it and I do have more run-out than I think I should. I will remove the chuck and check the taper alone. If I still have run-out I'll remove the taper, clean everything and re-assemble. If I still have more than I like, I'll call Delta. If this becomes an issue, I'll post here for the result.
    I removed the taper and chuck. Careful inspection showed them to be clean. The taper had some marks on it right out of the oil paper that I thought looked pretty shoddy but I could not feel anything.

The marks of course were still there. Just to be scientific (yeah, right) I rotated the taper 180* after cleaning again (no residue on the cloth I used). I tapped it in and ran a test, run-out was greatly reduced.

My feeling is that rotating the taper should have had no effect so I'll attribute it to 'something' else. I also didn't "tap" the taper / chuck assembly quite so hard to seat it this time.

Drill holes with my forstners 1/4" up to 35mm; no problem. Who knows? Voodoo?

– Samuel Butler

Very clever, Glenn, and a very clear explanation.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell

I removed the taper and chuck. Careful inspection showed them to be clean. The taper had some marks on it right out of the oil paper that I thought looked pretty shoddy but I could not feel anything.

The marks of course were still there. Just to be scientific (yeah, right) I rotated the taper 180* after cleaning again (no residue on the cloth I used). I tapped it in and ran a test, run-out was greatly reduced.

My feeling is that rotating the taper should have had no effect so I'll attribute it to 'something' else. I also didn't "tap" the taper / chuck assembly quite so hard to seat it this time.

Drill holes with my forstners 1/4" up to 35mm; no problem. Who knows? Voodoo?
    Glenn...thanks for the great response. I spent an afternoon messing with my chuck
    (drill press chuck.....I'm hetro) and after alot of taking it out and puttin it back in ( don't say nothing!!!) I finally had to put an indicator on it and tap it in to make it run true.
    It still isn't great but what the heck.........
    Gary K