Thread: 10 year old first turning (Dibble and honey dipper)

10 year old first turning (Dibble and honey dipper)

I have been looking forward to this past weekend for some time. I enrolled my son Clinton in a lathe class at Redmond & Sons Machinery. It went really well. There were 7 kids total. NIck and Ron (can't remember his last name for the life of me) were really patient with the kids and me. I have never turned anything and was a bit at a loss.

We had a nice Delta lathe. They all made a Garden Dibble and a honey dipper. They used 3 tools. A roughing gouge, spindle gouge, and a parting tool. We had a hard time using the spindle gouge and used the rough gouge for the handle on the dibble. Toward the end Nick again showed us the proper way to roll the spindle gouge to get a sharp corner and it fell into place.

Both items came out pretty good, especially considering how much he did by himself. Nick also demonstrated how a skew can do everything and made a dibble in about 5 minutes compared to our 2 hours.

I hope ya'll enjoy the picture. I had fun and so did my son.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

2 more.
    Like father like son in the first picture. Dough nut in hand ready to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NIck and Ron (can't remember his last name for the life of me) were really patient with the kids and me.
    Joe,

Congrats for the fine job your son did. The fun time father and son together is priceless.

It was Nick Cook (The gentleman in green shirt). Your son couldn't get a better teacher. He is also an excellent demonstrator. I would suggest returning to his teaching studio and take some skew lessons from him after your son has mastered what he has learned in class.

Gordon
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-09-2007 at 2:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Now that is a great way to spend a day.
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Joe, congrats on being able to share the adventures of woodturning with your son! Looks like he did a really good job on his first items! Glad to see you have photos to capture the moment! Let him know how much everyone here look forward to his up and coming postings!!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

How did they get the height right? At school I ended up with a stage-type riser for the 6-8th graders who were ... uh, vertically challenged. Some, even some senior females, were so short that the gouge handle was almost under their chin.

You have to fix the riser to the lathe or the entry English move has a tendency to move the turner away. Not that some of the kids could get much oomph behind an entry anyway. Opposite the problem of the large males who tried to bully the wood with the standard dismount consequences.

What a beautiful way to spend the day and time with the son.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Just "SPECIAL"
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Congrats Joe!

What a great way to spend time with your son!

We had Nick at our club and he did a great job.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Another proud pappa bringing up his kids the right way. Spinny kids made happy kids! I am I guess the only word I can come up with is apprenticing a kid I go to church with. It made me think of getting him over for a round on the new baby.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

do you think Clinton can come up to my place and show me how to roll that gouge?? Nice beads there... and it looks like a nice day had by all aswell...great stuff
    measure, cut, shake head

Great job Clinton! Good looking dipper!

The height problem (for the small kids) was a wooden skid.
    The beads on the dibble weren't perfect but started to make sense toward the end for both of us.
    I love these classes because people you meet are just so cool. We were invited to a wood club in Newnan that is trying to encourage kid enrollment.
    I just love woodworkers. Their patience and tolerance is seldom seen in other things.
    Thanks for the comments. He said I have to buy him a lathe to post those projects. So far he has a scroll saw (which he loves) and a starter set of hand tools.