Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose one LN block plane....

If you had to choose one LN block plane....

Would you go with the low angle adjustable throat, or the low angle rabbet block plane? I have a couple serviceable Stanley low angle adjustable throat block planes now, so I'm considering the rabbet plane. Any feedback?

Thanks,

Dave

Rabbet...rabbet...and rabbet!!! Especially since you already have the Stanleys. It is one handy dandy little plane of all trades...
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Rabbet.

I use mine to tweak tenons.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Like Martin, I use my LN rabbet plane to trim tenons. It does not work well as a general purpose block plane because of the exposed blade on the sides - you can easily gouge the work, or yourself. If you don't need the blade all the way to the edge of the plane, use a regular block plane for safety.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Rabbet !!!

and while you are at it, have them add on nickers. That gives you much more flexibility. They do not advertise it, but if you call in the order and ask them, they will add a nicker to eache side.

Course, you can always get them added on later, but then you need to pay shipping each way. If you do it when you order, then no shipping.

On the other hand, you will pay more than if you go to say the FTJ site.

Either way, be sure to get the nickers.

SHerwood
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

6. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Littlejohn View Post
    and while you are at it, have them add on nickers. That gives you much more flexibility. They do not advertise it, but if you call in the order and ask them, they will add a nicker to eache side.

Course, you can always get them added on later, but then you need to pay shipping each way. If you do it when you order, then no shipping.

On the other hand, you will pay more than if you go to say the FTJ site.

Either way, be sure to get the nickers.

SHerwood
    They'll add nickers to the rabbet block? I'm intrigued by that - How and where are they attached? are they let into the sides, or some other solution?

Do you have a pic of one?

Given your current arsenal, I'd also opt for the rabbit version. I have the LA adjustable and it's sweet...I can only imagine the rabbit version is just as nice in the hand!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

60 1/2 and get something else to do the rabbets. Only personal opinion, and it seems like any of these are win/win. Maybe even think about getting one of both - just get the one you want the most first.

I already had the LN large shoulder plane, so the rabbet plane wasn't a need. I'll attest from the comment earlier that using the shoulder plane, I've drawn blood from nicks on the corners - and only noticed it after it was on the workpiece. Not cool.

I also have a couple of stanley block planes that I got when i was in "deal mode". They're fine, and they do the job, but they just aren't quite as nice as the LN planes, even when they're tuned up.

Well, after the overwhelming response, I ordered the rabbet plane, and based on Doug's advice, asked for the knickers. They still had one left on the shelf. He said they ran one batch with the cloverleaf knickers a while back and thinks it will be a pretty valuable little tool, but I bought it for a need more than value. I'm guessing I'll be using this more than the Stanley 93 I have since that feels a bit awkward in my hands. And this is much prettier!

Thanks for all the help everybody!

Nickers

"He said they ran one batch with the cloverleaf knickers a while back and thinks it will be a pretty valuable little tool"

hmmmm, mine are the cloverleaf, I just figured that's how they did them all. DId he say how they are doing them since that run??

I'll try and post a picture tomorrow for those inquiring minds on how they were done.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Littlejohn View Post
    "He said they ran one batch with the cloverleaf knickers a while back and thinks it will be a pretty valuable little tool"

hmmmm, mine are the cloverleaf, I just figured that's how they did them all. DId he say how they are doing them since that run??

I'll try and post a picture tomorrow for those inquiring minds on how they were done.

Doug
    He didn't say. Since he seemed to think these are gonna be pretty unusual (didn't want to say "rare", it's way too overused), I'm guessing they will use the round knickers from the skew block plane, but again, that is only a guess.

Dave

LN 60-1/2 R w/ Nickers pic

I brought mine in today and just took a couple of pics for those who have not seen this mod done by LN. When I did mine, it was custom done by LN well after I bought my plane, I did not know there was any option to buy one from stock with nickers, interesting because that I know of, it's never been listed.

Heck, having them added is not listed but I heard of it through one of these WW forums, either here or at WoodNet.

Anyway, I don't use them very much, but I figure it's real nice to have them there when I do need them. The rest of the time, they are not in the way at all.

Here's the ics, enjoy and David, I know you will enjoy yours when it comes, it's my only LN so far and it's one heck of a nice plane.

Sherwood

Well, I received my LN rabbet block plane yesterday (with knickers just like Doug's), along with the 1/8" bevel edge chisel I ordered with it. All I can say is "BEAUTIFUL"!!! These things feel so right in my hand, I just know they won't be the only LN tools I buy. But then again, I suppose I'm preaching to the choir here, ain't I?

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    Well, I received my LN rabbet block plane yesterday (with knickers just like Doug's), along with the 1/8" bevel edge chisel I ordered with it. All I can say is "BEAUTIFUL"!!! These things feel so right in my hand, I just know they won't be the only LN tools I buy. But then again, I suppose I'm preaching to the choir here, ain't I?
    Now you've done it. You hold one LN chisel in your hand, and you won't be happy until you own them all!

(Gee, I wish my LN rabbet block had nickers like yours.)
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe View Post
    (Gee, I wish my LN rabbet block had nickers like yours.)
    I contacted LN about the nickers. It's $25 to add them (left and right). I already sent my LN rabbet plane to them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.