Thread: Anyone recognize this band saw?

Anyone recognize this band saw?

I bought this off craigs list today. It is in mint condition, and appears to be old. The serial number is 87-2365, but I can't find a model number. Anyone have advice on how to find out more about this 14" saw? I can't find one like it on owwm.com.
    There is a round metal plate on the front that says "Delta Milwaukee", but the serial number is on a rectangular plate on the rear that says "Rockwell".
    I wish I had enough space to keep all the old machinery I would like to own.
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

From this it could be from 1950, does it look that old?

http://www.owwm.com/Delta/VintageProject/Part1.asp

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe, if for no other reason, that is just a cool looking old machine!!! Great find!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Look it up at google. Delta still carries info on Delta/Rockwell tools. Rockwell was dropped by Delta in 1978, I believe. I don't remember what year Delta bought Rockwell International but you can get info from the Delta site. Hope this helps. Nice looking saw.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

Joe,
    Do you have any other pictures of it or seen it in person yet?

It looks like it could be one of the wood/metal cutting versions from the late 40's or early 50's with gear reduction. You'll know once you open up the belt cover if you see a gear selector in there. You can also tell by looking from the front since you can see the gear box mounted to the saw frame between it and the belt housing.

Nice saw

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Lets see a pic of the model #. It might help with finding info on it.

It is the standard Delta 14 inch bandsaw either wood or wood/metal version. Serial number indicates 1950 birthdate. Go to:
    http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Delta/1946-14BandSaw.pdf
    for an owner's manual.

The big question is, what did you have to give for it? It's on the art deco, cast iron base which is very desireable and if it's a wood / metal version and the gearbox in in good shape, that's another plus.

Dan Boschen
    Amarillo, TX

I had one very similar, was the metal cutting version. If there is a thing on the front that a filler for oil, its the metal version (along with a gearbox and selector knob inside the cast belt cover. Nice saw, very hard to do any dust collection on it.

It is still in my pickup - I have to clear a path in the shop to the place I want to plant it. I guess that says something about my cleaning habits!
    Yes, it has the art deco base, such as in Bob's picture, but I don't see any kind of gear reduction capability. The dust port is rectangular. I paid $75 for it, the asking price.
    Looking at the site Joe referenced, it does appear to be a 1950 model. In person, it looks of that vintage, at least.
    The base is cast iron and very heavy, but has a smaller footprint than the newer cabinet saws. I bought the saw from an older man, retired 20 years, who got it from his father's estate. His father was a cabinet maker; the seller didn't know if his father bought the saw new or used.
    I'll post a better picture once I get it in place. It sort of goes with my 1947 Unisaw.
    Joe

That's a cool find at asuper price. Congratulations!!!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps