Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making wooden rings?

Making wooden rings?

I would like to start making wooden rings. Does anyone know of a chuck or mandrel small enough to do this?

Generally done homebrew. Look on the web for turning of napkin rings. All techniques, save smaller, are effective with wearable rings.

NB: soak the daylights out of any cross-grain pieces to give them some extra strength along the grain. Good place to practice your CA finishes.

Try this link...

Nicholas...

While I've been waiting for some lathe accessories to arrive, I've been doing a lot of Web surfing on turning topics and things.

Here's a link I found that might fit your needs:
    http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur..._Bracelets.pdf

I'm going to try this as soon as my capabilities will permit.
    Phil

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip H Smith View Post
    Nicholas...

While I've been waiting for some lathe accessories to arrive, I've been doing a lot of Web surfing on turning topics and things.

What a great article! I love those step-by-step photos. Thanks Phillip!

Anyone know the preferred grain orientation for these rings & bracelets?
    Last edited by Patrick Taylor; 05-10-2007 at 10:00 AM.

This doesn't tell how but show some great rings:
    http://www.touchwoodrings.com/decisions.html
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan View Post
    This doesn't tell how but show some great rings:
    http://www.touchwoodrings.com/decisions.html
    Holy christmas did you see the prices? I suppose I'm only shocked because I know what goes into making one and could make them myself...but $260-280 for a single species wood ring, with no inlay or anything. Wonder how many they sell? I'd feel guilt selling them at $50 per.

bob

Bob,

You beat me to it. But on the other hand does the ortho-surgeon feel guilty about rebuilding my knee in 15 minutes and charging me $10,000? No. Never feel guilty about price just stick to it and do good work.

These folks are selling more than just the ring. They got the whole save the planet/simple life thing as part of their marketing plan. IT may be very true but I bet it also sells for them. When I am selling my wares I deparetely avoid mentioning my Catholic - Republican - Engineer - Corporate Mucky Wuk background it degrades my profile as an 'artist'. People love a story to support thier purchase.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Frank you are correct. I suppose I should have said I would feel guilty asking for $50 per, not getting it. If I were getting it and then some, not guilt then. If people value something and are willing to pay, I'd happliy take their money all day. I think I might see about making some rings when I get home...heh heh.

Bob

My buddy just asked me if I could make a wedding band for him. I've barely learned how to turn the lathe on. But I said yes anyway. What did I get into? What is the proper way for the grain to be oriented? I assume same as the shape. Like, would the center of the tree be the best, the rings of the tree would be following the ring.

What a great idea ... I lost my wedding ring about a year ago and after reading your post I had to make one. Very easy to make, took about 15 minutes start to finish.

I drilled a hole in the wood just a little smaller than the size I wanted and used a spindle sander to smooth the inside and make it big enough to fit my finger. (If ya dont have a spindle sander you could turn a dowel and wrap sandpaper around it.)

I then turned a dowel with a taper on it so the wood would slide over it and gave it a good push so it fit tight. Then I just turned it till I had the shape I wanted and sanded and finished. I did one edge, turned it around on the dowel and did the other.

Good luck,
    Shane Whitlock
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could probably make a split cylinder wedge chuck (not sure if that's it's official name) as well. Do the same as shane has done except split the cylinder with a saw kerf. Slip the ring onto the cyslinder and drive a small wedge into the saw kerf spreading the cylinder and holding the ring.

I'm going to have to give this wooden ring thing a try.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Whitlock View Post
    I then turned a dowel with a taper on it so the wood would slide over it and gave it a good push so it fit tight. Then I just turned it till I had the shape I wanted and sanded and finished. I did one edge, turned it around on the dowel and did the other.
    Thats exactly the same way I do it for the most part anyway... However if you turn the ring to its almost the thickness that you want, when you shove it on the dowel it is liable to break. I have done that MULTIPLE times.

ok so now i'll explain what I do:

I take tenons from other turned projects such as boxes or other things and stick it in the chuck. I generally just use a fingernail gouge to make a hole in the center all the way through. Because it is just at the end of the chuck there is little danger in going so far to hit the back side of the jaws. anyway then I use some sort of scraper that i'm still trying to make to square up the inside. at this point when there is still a lot of wood around the to be ring as support. at this point I jamb it on a dowel. now it wont break because there is an inch or so of wood from the hole. now i shape it, reverse, and finish. i've been trying to reinforce the rings with CA glue becuase i am often breaking mine...

anyway thats how I do it... I'll try and take and post pics the next time i make a ring which should be some time soon. that should clarify any misunderstandings due to my horrible writing skills...
    Ben
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

This is a great thread. I like to try something a little different and will be making a ring and bracelet set for my wife this weekend.
    -Marc

Mother's Day solved

Thanks guys, It just dawned on me Rings for Mother's Day. Tonight I make rings!

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip H Smith View Post
    Nicholas...

I tried a wide bracelet with slight curves inside and out last night with this method using a scrap of maple and man was it EASY! I plan on doing more of these for sure. Sorry, forgot to snap a picture (I know.. didn't happen without a photo...) before work but I'll post one later. It took about 20 minutes, including sanding.