Thread: Douglas Fir Source DFW

Douglas Fir Source DFW

I am going to attempt to build a workbench.

I am trying to find a source for vertical grain Douglas Fir in the DFW area.

Thanks,

TJ

TJ, can Mike at Curly Woods order it for you if he doesn't stock? You might also check the "pro" lumber yards as D-Fir is also used as a construction material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Teresa,
    I used douglas fir for the base of my bench and it has held up well. I milled mine out of some old construction sized timbers that I had in the "pile". You know, that mountain of stuff that you never want to pitch, and are so delighted when you get a chance to actually use some of it. You could likely find some beam cut-offs at a construction site ,etc. I initially joined the trestles and the legs with threaded inserts to make the base collapsable, and it did just that. The inserts pulled out due to the softness if the wood and the base fell apart. I then just used long lags and it has held well since. A bit OT, but I was visiting a wood reclaimation yard north of Seattle and they were using a Woodmiser type horizontal band saw to resaw some old timbers from a local warehouse. They were 24" X 40" and as you could imagine had tight straight grain and a beautful reddish color. It was going to be used as trim and other architectural goodies for the high-end homes out here. Good luck, John.

DF source

I am not local to the DFW Area but i do know of a couple of Wholesale lumber yards that are doing Douglas Fir Selects. Try - Lee Roy Jordan Lumber they are great people and if they cannot help you they should be able to point you in the right direction.

good luck
    Darren

I see Doug Fir at the local BORG all the time.

By "vertical grain", you mean grain running the length of the board?

Here's two of my favorites:
    Austin Hardwoods, Irving: 972-241-4777
    Hogan Hardwoods, Grand Prarie/Arlington (Post & Paddock exit off of 360). Don't have the phone but just go to hoganhardwoods.com. I'm still mad at them for closing their Mansfield yard (closer to home for me), but they still have some of the best prices/selection.

I've only seen 4X4X8 Douglas Fir at the Depot. They were 12.10 each. I used it for the legs on my built in bench. I got mine at the White Settlement Rd. location in Ft. Worth, but I bet your store will be similar for location. Near the exit doors on the end cap. Nice and straight lumber. I'm sure you could look through for the grain you are looking for, but it was pretty straight. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Thanks all!!

I'll check with Mike at Curly Woods -thanks, Jim.

Darren, some others suggested Lee Roy so i'll give them a call as well.

James, I know of Austin Hardwoods in Dallas (recently changed owners & name) but I didn't know there was one in Irving.

Jim, the price is certainly right on the 4X4s - The Depot is just up the street about five minutes so I'll definitely check that out!

John, I certainly do know about that mountain of stuff!! The reclaimed timbers sound wonderful.

Thanks again everyone.