Thread: Nova cole jaws on jet mini with nova midi chuck?

Question Nova cole jaws on jet mini with nova midi chuck?

I have the jet mini (10" swing) with the nova "precision midi" chuck. The nova cole jaws say that for a swing of 10" or less, you have to use the mini cole jaws. This table shows the maximum external bowl grip as 6.2" with that combination of chuck and jaws.

Am I correct that:
    1. The largest cole jaws I can use are the nova mini jaws?
    2. The largest bowl I can then mount in the cole jaws is 6.2" diameter?
    I want cole jaws, but typically turn bowls in the 8-9" range, so that wouldn't be of much use. Anyone have any experience with a similar setup?

You really don't need the Cole jaws to turn objects of the size you desire...you can just use a jam-chuck for finishing off bottoms and the like. And because that's between centers, it's darn safe. Only a very small nub is left which can be unobtrusively removed with a sharp carving gouge or chisel and a little hand sanding. Oh, and the price is right...some scrap wood and a piece of old carpet padding will do quite nicely!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You really don't need the Cole jaws to turn objects of the size you desire...you can just use a jam-chuck for finishing off bottoms and the like. And because that's between centers, it's darn safe. Only a very small nub is left which can be unobtrusively removed with a sharp carving gouge or chisel and a little hand sanding. Oh, and the price is right...some scrap wood and a piece of old carpet padding will do quite nicely!

You're right, that's what I've been doing so far... but I've got that new tool itch!

The convenience sounds nice, but I don't like the sound of the apparent size limitation. I suppose you need room for the buttons and the jaw expansion... Hopefully someone can confirm my assumptions.

Cole Jaws

I bought a set of regular size cole jaws awhile ago for my Nova chuck and if I remember correctly they were quite expensive. I can honestly say they ain't worth it! Do yourself a favor and make an inexpensive donut chuck. Way better in my opinion, and a fun project as well. Keep in mind this is just one more step closer to a vacuum chuck.

I use donut chucks to finish the bottom of my bowls. You can make just about any size you want to fit your lathe. Do a search for Donut Chucks.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.