Thread: 30 Inch Pecan Bowl

30 Inch Pecan Bowl

This piece of pecan has been made as round as possible with a chainsaw, and a 6 inch faceplate attached to it.

It is then mounted on the lathe with an engine hoist.
    The end results is 30 inches in diameter by 9 3/4 inches deep. I coated it with 2 coats of Anchorseal and set it aside to dry for a year or so.
    That pecan is tough stuff.
    Last edited by Glenn Hodges; 10-12-2005 at 6:06 PM.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    HOLY MOLY ! ! ! !
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Glenn, you trying to make a bathtub?!!!

Stupid question (or perhaps just uninformed, as I am not a turner)..

How will you chuck that thing back up without leaving screw holes somewhere?

"Hey Ma, I'm not real hungry - I'll just have a BOWL of soup for dinner...."

Todd.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 01-03-2004 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Glenn, you trying to make a bathtub?!!!

Stupid question (or perhaps just uninformed, as I am not a turner)..

How will you chuck that thing back up without leaving screw holes somewhere?

"Hey Ma, I'm not real hungy - I'll just have a BOWL of soup for dinner...."

Todd.
    Todd, I left the bottom thick so that when it is dry I can remount and have enough wood on the bottom to remove the evidence of the screws.
    That's my plan....you know about best made plans.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Jumpin' Catfish ! ! !
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Very, very impressive Glenn! I've been wanting to do one like that out of some walnut I have, I just need the time to get to it. I also like that beautiful blue lathe you have there that is big enough and powerful enough to spin that chunk-o-wood!

I'll be looking forward to seeing this one come out.

Bill

I got a blue lathe. I would make one too if I had pecan around here. Maybe in my next life I will be able to turn a bowl that big.

Dave Smith

Pulling you leg with a blue 1236 in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

"Huge"

That's going to be beautiful when you get it finished. I guess that outboard setup on the Poolewood is coming in handy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    "Huge"

That's going to be beautiful when you get it finished. I guess that outboard setup on the Poolewood is coming in handy!
    Yea, I sure couldn't have done it without the outboard. Bill, I liked your Ole Blue so much I had to have one, so I put it to work. I am sure it will turn something even larger. Of course if the piece comes off the lathe while it is turning it would knock a hole in the wall of my shop and kill a dog in the next county. I am going to try and include a profile picture of the bowl resting on a pecan log that was about the size of the one I turned the bowl from. The picture was taken out behind my shop about a week ago. Thanks for all your interest in my work.
    Last edited by Glenn Hodges; 10-12-2005 at 6:06 PM.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

Is That a Poolewood? How did it do with the turning of that Bowl. My friend just got one and is trying some smaller stuff for now. Looks great!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    Is That a Poolewood? How did it do with the turning of that Bowl. My friend just got one and is trying some smaller stuff for now. Looks great!
    John
    Thanks John, yes, it is a 2 hp Poolewood. Model # Euro 2000. They make a 3 hp. It has a 20 inch swing plus I have the outboard rig which allows me to turn much larger stuff, as the picture shows. The lathe had no problem with this 30 inch pecan, I might try something larger in the future. When you are turning something this large you have to go like Tina Turner said, "Nice & Easy". When you get it round you can turn up the speed a little, but never forget good sense and caution. My buddy and I are going to get a large yellow poplar and a couple of blackgum burls tomorrow.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

Why do i feel so.................inadequate all of the sudden?
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al