Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM 3520 problems?

PM 3520 problems?

I have read many of the glowing reviews of the PM 3520 series and it seems to have a very loyal following. Anyone had bad experiences with it? not trying to rile people up with more mustard vs. mayo talk but just looking for some more opinions and have not seen many complaints. I did a search and did not find much either.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Pm 3520

My original, American made, PM lathe was bought used and I paid a fair price. It has served me with great success for 8 years. It does not have any of the newer models "niceties", like a spindle lock or index system but it has wonderful speed control in two ranges and is as strong as an ox. I do not see how you could go wrong with a PM 3520B. Phil
    Philip

Ben,

I have a 3520a with every accessory made (except the LH bowl turning rest) and have never had a problem. I don't think you will find many who have had any kind of problem with this simple but, well designed and built machine.

Benjamin,
    I have one huge problem with my 3520B. There aren't enough hours for me to use it as much as I want to! Seriously, I've had mine since mid-February and the only problem was with the remote switch I ordered as an option. The remote switch quit on me; I bypassed it and continued using the lathe. WMH promptly sent me a replacement switch, which I have not yet installed.

Got 2 problems with my PM 3520B since it arrived about 6 months ago:
    1. Have broken the screws on 2 locking levers for the tool rest. Got replacements coming.
    2. It somehow magically creates huge piles of shavings. On a busy weekend, the shaving will cover the floor and mound up to and above the bottom of the bed rails. I just sweep or kick them up under the lathe, the mound goes leg to leg, back several feet, and up about 3'. Takes a while to get rid of all the shavings.
    Rich S.

Everyone, thanks for the feedback. I guess my skeptical side was expecting some complaints but it is good to see so many positive comments.
    Ben

Ben,

I assure you...if someone encounters a major problem with it (or any other lathe)...it will be posted here and/or on other major turning forums.

I am actually waiting for such thing since there are so many PM3520B buyers and thinking there would be a lemon somewhere but so far none that I've heard of (thankfully).

Oh BTW, I am a happy PM3520B owner whose only problem is (like Mark) not spending more time with my lathe.
    Dario

pm 3520

Ben, I have 3 different size lathes The pm 3520 being the largest I love it.Enough said Willis Martin

I had my 3520A for about 2 solid years now.....it's as faithful as the sunrise each day. Never a problem as I ALWAYS unplug it from the power source after each turning session due to any potential thunderstorms. I sure wouldn't want to have to replace the VFD on that baby!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

The PM 3520 is probably the best "mass market" lathe available to you relative to quality, etc. I also don't recall any real complaints on it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ben,
    I turn on one almost every week (for part of a day) and love every minute of it. I don't own one but can definitely say it will be my next lathe. IMO it offers the best bang for the buck!!!

I have heard of a few problems with headstock bearings going bad prematurely, but PM was quick to fix them under warranty.

Smile

I have one complain, and that is I didn't buy it sooner. I love mine.

The only complaint that I have ever heard of, was the cast iron plate that held the headstock & tailstock to the bed when tightened down. If memory serves it was on a limited number of the first PM3520 sold. WMH went to steel since then and offered replacements parts for those already sold. One criticism is the index available for the 3520A only has 24 positions. After getting one, it seems to me they could have bin a little more generous and gave it higher resolution. Another is the tool rest is a little long, and I personally don't like the fact it does not have much clearance for an underhand grip (at least for folks with big hands ). These are pretty minor, but since you asked . Otherwise it has been rock solid!

Once again, thanks to everyone for the feedback. I checked out a 3520b yesterday and it is really nice. dealer said they have not had problems with the lathe (some other PM tools they have issues with but not the 3520), also saw a couple of oneways, also very nice but more expensive. saw the big rikon but a little pricey compared to PM. need to sell some more pens.
    thanks,
    Ben

I just ordered a PM 3520B from toolnut (they beat a price I saw from toolzone.com, I got it for $2545.00, shipping included and tax free since I don't live in NY state). I see you live in Georgia. I am in Decatur just east of downtown Atlanta. You are welcome to stop by and give it a test run when it arrives. Especially if you are willing to help me unload it and put it together!!!!