Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a big saw into the basement without muscle

Getting a big saw into the basement without muscle

Ok so it's a gloat first of all....but prolly my last one for a while, since I've not been very busy lately (hence am choosing now to upgrade some tools) and have been running up some heavy lines of credit. Sitting on top of the crate is probably the best tool for this job, a 7 foot long 2x2 oak lever.
    sawstop_01.jpg

The electricians have yet to install the line for it, and it now sits in my garage, all 659 pounds of it!

I was going to photograph the process of getting from the utility trailer into my garage using just ropes, levers, tow chain and a tractor, but I ran out of light and needed to hurry. However I hope to add more photos as I continue the quest for the ultimate easy basement install. Helps to have the big diesel tractor of course!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Williams; 05-11-2007 at 9:44 PM.

When I was in the Navy, I watched the guys from the Riggers Loft on the tender come onto our ship and move heavy equipment down passageways and ladders to get it installed below decks. I learned a lot by watching. I learned that a combination of pullies, ropes, dollies, etc. can move a lot of weight without having to break anyone's back.

Sounds like you have the same idea. I look forward to watching the progress.
    Doyle

What? What about no pain no gain? LOL I know what you mean about being stretched on that credit.

Cool

Andrew, congratulations on your new SawStop. You're going to love your new saw!!!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Ok the big tractor won't fit in the garage too well, so I need to use the little one. It groaned a bit but was able to move the crate (a little)

sawstop_02.jpg

Here it is uncrated. It just sits on that pallet, no bolts (unless there are some that I haven't noticed). This scared me because if the crate had ever fallen over it might have come apart, and there are NO level surfaces around here, especially my driveway.
    sawstop_03.jpg

Now I've taken the boxes out and am trying to think about what I can pull off of this saw for the move to the basement. Obviously the table and right wing need to come off, easy enough...same with the handwheels. The motor is a big maybe, since I would have to unwire it. At this point I am thinking of leaving it, since the only way I see to moving this cabinet is with a ramp and sled arrangement. That leaves the issue of what little bits might be jutting out. Unfortunately there are bits jutting out of every side, although I can remove the motor box, and on that side there are no other jutting bits save the table flanges. This creates a possible width of 32", narrow enough to fit through both doors, and I will be able to lay the cabinet down on the motor-box side. The wild card is the electronic control box, but it may be possible to move it out of the danger zone without unwiring it.
    sawstop_04.jpg

Andrew, be VERY careful if you choose to remove the table from your saw. There may be shims (they look like washers, but are not washers) in one or more of the four corners and they are critical to the saw's alignment during bevel cuts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim.. I will look for them. There were not any on my last saw but I'll keep an eye open. I was also told that there are some hidden cleats holding the saw down to the pallet although I have yet to find them. Perhaps a call to SS is in order.

Nice job. I am looking forward to seeing the saw when it is set up.

Which dealer did you go with?

Chuck

Ah yes another black shiny saw that will soon be a dusty black saw. So do you plan to wash & wax it once a week so the dust doesn't stick to it to bad? Congrats.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Binghamton is at a point of minimum density as far as woodworking supply stores are concerned. The nearest Woodcraft is in Allentown, PA; nearest Rockler, Buffalo. There were no SS dealers anywhere near so it was pretty much a toss-up and a committed-to long drive with the trailer in any case. I chose the Downingtown Woodcraft (near Philly). It took about 1.3 tank of gas (maybe $65) to make the trip with the trailer. They loaded it on for me without a whole lot of trouble.

Yeah it's black and shiny, just like my 94 Del Sol. This time of year it doesn't look black, it looks pollen-colored! I suspect the SS will be similar soon.

Andrew,

As long as you bear in mind Jim's comment about the location of any shims, there's probably little reason not to remove the motor and switch. The wiring should be very straightforward. That's the way I did it both times with my Bridgewood (only 450 lbs), and it went down a tiny hatch and stairs the first time with the wife and I using the miracle of leverage to do it by hand. Make sure you have whatever you need to realign your table top when you install (I use the Align-It kit).

Enjoy that baby - I envy your having a riving knife.

Coulda driven a bit further

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Williams View Post
    Binghamton is at a point of minimum density as far as woodworking supply stores are concerned. The nearest Woodcraft is in Allentown, PA; nearest Rockler, Buffalo. There were no SS dealers anywhere near so it was pretty much a toss-up and a committed-to long drive with the trailer in any case. I chose the Downingtown Woodcraft (near Philly). It took about 1.3 tank of gas (maybe $65) to make the trip with the trailer. They loaded it on for me without a whole lot of trouble.

Yeah it's black and shiny, just like my 94 Del Sol. This time of year it doesn't look black, it looks pollen-colored! I suspect the SS will be similar soon.
    To Wilmington DE. and saved 6% sales tax. Delaware is pretty attractive when it comes to larger purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    To Wilmington DE. and saved 6% sales tax. Delaware is pretty attractive when it comes to larger purchases.
    This information would have been much more useful to me last week

Red face Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Williams View Post
    This information would have been much more useful to me last week
    Delaware and New Hampshire are good states for large purchases, no sales tax. Of course use tax is due when the purchaser is from out of state I think.

Curt

The same folks own both the Downingtown PA and Wilmington DE Woodcraft franchises as far as I know... ...I was actually surprised with another party opened the one in Allentown.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...