Thread: Fingernail Grind for Bowl Gouge

Fingernail Grind for Bowl Gouge

I want to build a jig similar to the Ellsworth grinding jig to sharpen my bowl gouge. I saw one demonstrated and like the profile. I was wondering if anyone knows how long the pivot should be and How big I should make the holder?

sharpening jig

Hi tim
    If u do a search for shopmade wolverine jig u will come up with lots of ideas on how to make one.
    The first one i made was a wood one and worked pretty well ...a few mods for u to note:
    make the slider bar out of hardwood ..soft wood like fir gives to much and wont stay ridgid.
    The holder block should be about 2" long and put the bolt or screw whatever u use to hold the tool in place ..on the bottom not on top ..this will allow u to rotate the tool in the holder..if on top it will tighten into the flute and then cant rotate the tool if need be to get the correct angle for the swept back wings.
    After u have made the slide bar and the tool holder ..mount if under the grinder...put the tool in the holder and set it so that u have at no more than 2" protruding out the front...set tip of the tool in the center of the wheel horizontally then measure from the center of the block at the bottom down to the "V" holder at the end of the slide bar (the slide bar should be pulled out about 6" and locked down) this will give u the appox measurement of the pivot bar.
    This is not an exact science so u will have to adjust it to your satisfation..I like a more rounded nose on mine so my tip is a little lower then center to get this affect.
    Hope that helps
    Bob

Try http://www.aroundthewoods.com/ for one example of a homebrew jig. All designs work on pretty much the same principle.