Thread: The gift of time for a friend

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto

The gift of time for a friend

Hi All,
    Most woodworking purists would never dream of combining different materials in a project........................I’m not a purist and remain unmoved by that philosophy. This clock is a retirement present for a friend of mine who has recently retired after 30 years as a carpenter.

The clock face is a 7 ˝” diameter 1” thick piece of aluminum that has been milled by a machinist friend to receive a standard quarts movement mounted in the back. The wooden base is all 8/4 curly maple (difficult to see in the pictures) but take my word for it, it’s pretty.

I drilled the clock face and inserted 5/8” brass rod for the 4 main numbers and 3/8” brass rod for the secondary numbers. The maple was given a coat of boiled linseed oil and varsol mixture to bring out the curly figure and then top coated with 4 coats of satin lacquer. The total height of the piece is 20” and should make for interesting conversation or a handy weapon for beating off burglars.

All the best
    Gord
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

Gord, that is awesome...the perfect combination of beautiful wood and skillfully machined metal. You might consider producing more of these! I bet they would fund your next big machine purchase just nicely...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Really neat, Gord. Very cool design - simple and elegant, yet different. Very well executed, too. Dave.

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto
    Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your kind words.

All the best
    Gord
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

Now that, I LIKE! That is very cool Gord. Simple, yet elegant...........a wonderful combination that works very well for clocks. The machine work, and your fine woodwork compliment each other nicely. Simply AWESOME! Thanks for sharing this Gord, it is a thing of BEAUTY!

Great looking clock Gord, I need to find myself a Machinist friend.

Keep up the great work.

Ed

Thumbs up

Gord,

Nice piece! I really like the way you used the two different sizes of brass rod for the numbers. As for purists, I think anyone who limits him/herself to only wood, is missing the boat. Metals, glass and other materials can really compliment wood and vice versa.

Looking forward to seeing more,
    Bob

Gord - good job!! I'm sure your friend will enjoy it!

Gord, that is WAY cool! And I think mixing media just enhances the wood, I guess due to the stark contrast between them. I like it a LOT! Good food for thought...
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!