Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PayPal rant

Check your local CostCo, Joe. My boss checked around and they offered the very best deal around. I think Sam's Clubs also offer CC processing.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

You might also look into Google checkout. No idea if they are any good or not, could be worse than PayPal for all I know, but they are there, and Google has some automatic name recognition. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Check your local CostCo, Joe. My boss checked around and they offered the very best deal around. I think Sam's Clubs also offer CC processing.

Nancy
    I had Sam's before and gave it up when I moved to the house, because they required 90% of the charges to be swiped cards, and I will never have the card to swipe.

I'll check with Costco.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Talking my humble Paypal story

I like, Doug Cloud got hacked on the Paypal servers. Unlike Doug all I got was a lot of smoke.

I must state, this occured several years ago, just before E-we take all your money so u can use our platform, also known as E-Bay by some, bought out Paypal.

I, like many of you, had seperate accounts for my bank, and also a seperate CC account just for Paypal. I used Paypal on Yahoo auctions back when they were free. The origional CC I had on Paypal gave me gas about something, anyhow I canxd it. I opened a new account with another bank, got the new card, put the info on Paypal, but didn`t do any transactions at that time.

About a week later was called by the new bank, my CC was in heavy use, did I make all of these charges????? Why NO I say. It seems it was hacked when I put it on Paypal, how can this happen I ask, they say they are secure.

The bank security guy starts chuckling, what I ask, tell me. He tells me they have 8 bit encryption, like I`m supposed to be aware of what the heck that means. Goes on to say that the STANDARD at that time was 32 bit encryption, and that 8 bit was from an era just after horses were the main transportation means in 45 of the states. 8 bit encryption is what the 1st graders use as a learning tool in HACKER school.

Encryption he explains is what is used to hide the data you are sending to a financial institution, checkout, marketplace with your personal, and valuable information, IE CC#, SS#, name, address, birth date, whatever u want to be kept private, or at least share only with who you are sending it to.

I called my personal bank, was told Paypal while heavily used, was a joke, hahahahaha, as a financial institution. Checked other finacial services, told the same. Paypal is just a service.

To keep ALL the money in their pockets they don`t give any back due to losses they create by not having up to snuff security measures.

Yes they can state they use encryption to "guard" your transaction, but they r not SAFE n SECURE.

Doug if u are not really a Paypal plant, and if U really got a refund, well maybe they have changed, but Dad use to say, screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.

I use the good old USPS money order these days for E-bay, or other lil sellers who don`t mess with taking CC`s. For other big box online purchases I have no fears of using my CC. I shop heavily online, and believe with the exception of Paypal it`s safe, anyhow I`ve never been burnt anywhere else.

For those of you who are gunshy of the internet and your CC #, call your issuing bank, talk with them, most have a security dept, most can give you an internet use # to use online, either for a 1 time use, a day, maybe even a week. These numbers are 16 digit CC looking numbers, but they are not your actual card number. As stated they last whatever duration you deem them to last, when you input them on a companys servers for a purchase, they work, the funds are deducted from your actual card. However as they are not your actual CC#, if hacked they are basically useless, especially if you have asked for a 1 time use #.

Check with your bank, I`m not too sure about small local banks, but all of the bigger banks offer this. CITI, Chase, AT&T, Bank of America, etc etc.

Happy shopping folks

Won`t darken the Paypal door no mo.

BL
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 05-18-2007 at 8:48 AM. Reason: Language correction.

I've never had a security issue with PayPal, my problem is just getting the service they advertise to work. Apparently if all of your transactions are a few dollars it's fine, but get over a thousand or two and they get squirrely.

After a pretty thorough investigation and checking comments on several forums I decided on a new provider, the rates are basically the same as PayPal but with an additional $10/month for a virtual terminal which I didn't have with them. It goes through a real bank, too. Should be up and running tomorrow.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

I have had my own bad experience with Paypal which I posted here recently. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57254
    I will never deal with them again, and if an eBay seller won't accept other methods of payment, I move on to one that will.

I'm happy so far with my new provider. Took about 5 minutes for approval, overnight it was all set up, this morning I've run a couple of payments using the virtual terminal, no problems. I still have to update the html on the website so people can pay from there, but that will have to wait until I have time.

Bye, PayPal!

Sammamish, WA

update

I mailed the cashier's check last Friday, got the pump before 1:00 this afternoon! UPS said on the tracking site that it would be delivered Monday the 21st. 3 days early!!!! That was nice!! Added a little jab at PayPal at the end of a glowing report for the vendor on my E-bay feedback. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.