Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker or Benchdog Router Lift?

Question Woodpecker or Benchdog Router Lift?

I was all set on the Wodpecker percision router lift till I found it will not fit my table opening. So they also make a Quick Lift 350A which looks nice and will fit my 8 1/4X11 /34 opening. I like the fact that I can raise the router fast with the woodpecker. Howerver the benchdog seems more durable and looks more solid.

Which one should I get?
    Last edited by jason lambert; 05-15-2007 at 1:59 PM.

Have not tried the first two you mentioned, but I am very h ppy with the Bench Dog.

Both are great lifts. I recently opted for the BenchDog...I've wanted one for years and it's about the beefiest thing going in this space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

looks like the bench dog is definally more beefey and maybe a better lift.

The other thing about the bench dog the inside rings have 2 screws it looks like more of a pain than the woodpecker screw in spacers. Also this is going in a portable table so weight may not necessarly be a good thing I have to lift this up on a shelf when done with it.

Although I have had no feedback about the woodpecker so the benchdog may be the tried and true thing to go with. To bad the woodpecker is 100 dollars cheaper.
    Last edited by jason lambert; 05-15-2007 at 3:21 PM.
    -=Jason=-

I installed the PRL just this this weekend, so I can't comment based on years of use, but from all my playing around, I think it's incredible. I'll report back hopefully after this weekend when I use it to dovetail several drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    The other thing about the bench dog the inside rings have 2 screws it looks like more of a pain than the woodpecker screw in spacers. Also this is going in a portable table so weight may not necessarly be a good thing I have to lift this up on a shelf when done with it.
    The heavy metal insert rings for the BenchDog lift are not unlike those in shapers. They have 4 leveling screws which are not optional, but the rings can be used, (IMHO) without the two "hold down" screws if you have things leveled properly. Given they are made of steel, I'm using the two hold-down screws to avoid any chance that they could come in contact with a cutter revolving at 10-20K RPM if accidentally dislodged, however. It only takes a few seconds to remove the screws and that interval can also help you to pace your work safely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Oooo, tough call. The BD relies on levelers from below as designed into their table. If you have the means to replicate this and their odd shaped plate opening to support them the BD is one heavy duty lift. Perhaps an owner will chime in but I believe you also must lock the height setting from below the table.

The QL locks when you extract the adjustment handle and has levelers built into the plate that are accessible from above the table. I have been looking at both extensively. Although I will have to modify my opening; I am leaning toward the QL at this point.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

jason, I have the woodpecker quicklift and like it. have not tried the bench dog but am sure it is good too. I found the woodpecker people to have good customer service and that is always a plus. also, i find that setting bit height to be easy as is switching out bits.
    Ben
    Last edited by Benjamin Dahl; 05-15-2007 at 4:28 PM.

Hey guys woodpecker now makes one for the bench dog tables it is the quick lift 350 #QL350ABD http://woodpeck.com
    Last edited by Brian Goodin; 05-15-2007 at 5:04 PM.

BD lift locks from below with a well placed set screw. THe insert rings are heavy and I run mine without hold down screws as the fence sits over the edges of the ring in most cases.

I saw the BD and PRL next to each other and IIRC, the BD has 3 solid shafts that the router rides up and down on while the PRL only has 2. Seemed to me at the time that 3 would be required to resist the occasionally high horizontal forces on a router and not deflect.

It is horribly heavy though (only horrible if you have to move it more than once).
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Lift

After much thought I decided to order the woodpecker. What I gathered is if you are using it all the time the Benchdog is a heaver and a more durable lift. I am a home hobbiest and I just like the lookk of the Woodpecker also it has the quick rise feature to change bits and built in lock hight were the benchdog I would have to go under the table and is alot liter in my portable table. It just seems like a more refined lift. Thanks for all the feedback.
    -=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    After much thought I decided to order the woodpecker. What I gathered is if you are using it all the time the Benchdog is a heaver and a more durable lift. I am a home hobbiest and I just like the lookk of the Woodpecker also it has the quick rise feature to change bits and built in lock hight were the benchdog I would have to go under the table and is alot liter in my portable table. It just seems like a more refined lift. Thanks for all the feedback.
    I have used the PRL for several years. I love the thing. The gear mechanism that you turn to raise and lower the unit striped about three years ago and I was prepared to buy a new part. No deal - it was replaced free! I use a 14.4 drill on low speed to raise and lower the thing. I couldn't be happier with the control.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham View Post
    I have used the PRL for several years. I love the thing. The gear mechanism that you turn to raise and lower the unit striped about three years ago and I was prepared to buy a new part. No deal - it was replaced free! I use a 14.4 drill on low speed to raise and lower the thing. I couldn't be happier with the control.

I have been researching both these lifts myself recently. I am fairly certain I am going with the Woodpecker. If someone has any more comments on the best lift to purchase please post it up. Thanks!

Oh yeah Bryon! Thats a GREAT idea with the drill to raise and lower! I gotta remember that! Thanks!

Benchdog Pro Router Lift

I have one, have not tried other brands.

This is an extremely well designed unit (I have a large PC router in it) You can adjust it to within .001 without fiddling.

The only issue I have is in leveling the base and the "cutter rings" (I don't know what they should be called) With four adjustment screws do not make a plane (3 points make a plane), so it's a pain to set perfectly flat in the table with no wiggle.

Otherwise, this unit is a great example of a well designed and manufactured product that is a pleasure to own. Also, it's "beefy," not like one of those "nice idea products" that ends up being made out of lightwight materials that don't support the product uses it was designed for.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 06-28-2009 at 7:36 PM. Reason: Typos

Yeah I have a PC 7518 that is sittin there waiting for a lift! The dam thing is HEAVY! LOL!