Thread: "L" shaped kitchen nook question...

"L" shaped kitchen nook question...

I'm planning to build a kitchen nook with storage under the seats in my kitchen corner. I plan to build two separate benches and join them together. The back of the benches will have a slight cant, or angle, to increase comfort when leaning back. At the corner, how should I join the two angled backrests ...It looks tricky to me (a novice woodworker).
    "What happens in the garage, often through no fault of it's own, stays in the garage....."

I would run one backrest all the way to the wall, and then butt the remaining backrest against it. The end of the second backrest will be cut at an angle where it joins the first. I would probably install the first backrest and then prop the second one in place, using dividers to essentially scribe the angle of the first onto the blank for the second. I would handle the joint with pocket screws, if you have access to the rear of the piece, or biscuits.

Good luck! -- Paul

Allan,
    I sugegst that both backs should run to about 4 or 5 inches short of the wall and have a "filler at that point.
    This story on website may be of interest to you: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/kitc-1.htm
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

I would go the scribe route only because the dorner is good place to rest and a square filler would be in the way. Make the back out of 3/4 ply and after the first is in, scribe to it using a pair of dividers or a ripping. ONce scribed, butt the two together and draw a line on the face. Offset that line (the thickness of the backs) and install a glue block/nail strip on the face of the back that is already installed and glue and nail the other to it.

Cushions are nice for these benches but they should be mounted on boards so they dont slide around. Consider adding a little raised rail to teh front of the seat to contain the cushions.

Made on once and thats what we did.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion