Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Height Outfeed Table?

Question Adjustable Height Outfeed Table?

I would like to create a rolling outfeed support table for my Jet Contractor Saw. Building the table is not a problem, but I was wondering if there is a good way to adjust the height to make it level with the table top.

I was thinking of using threaded inserts into the top of the table frame, with adjustment screws in the top so I could adjust the height of the 4 corners to be level with the top of the table saw.

However, I am not quite sure how to have the adjustment screws both hold the top on, and adjust for height.

I am also not sure if this approach would be stable enough (would the top wobble?)

Thanks,
    David Genrich

I found an example of what I am looking for in ShopNotes Issue 60:

However, I am not sure how they have the table top actually attached.

Does anyone have a copy of ShopNotes Issue 60 that they can sell me? I can get the backissues, but only with Issues 55 through 60, for $29.95, but would prefer not to spend that much. Like everyone else, I am on a tight budget and lucky if I can buy wood !

Thanks,
    David Genrich
    Last edited by David Genrich; 05-16-2007 at 2:03 PM. Reason: URL not coming out correctly

David what I have done in the past is to weld a 1/2 inch or larger nut into the end of a piece of steel tubing (serves as the table leg) and then install a bolt into the nut with another nut on the bolt that serves as a lock nut. Adjust to the correct height and then tighten the lock nut up agaist the nut previously welded in place. The same thing can also be done in the end of a square of lumber. Forsner bit and then force the nut into the hole. Another option is to use a large diamter T nut with a hole drilled down the end of the wood serving as the table leg. This method will work its just not as robust. If you dont move the table much then the latter methods should work just fine.

Paul,

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like your talking about adjusting the leg height? I need to be able to roll the thing around to move it since I have a 2-car garage workshop (space is limited).

I was of the impression that you want the out feed a tad lower than the Cast Iron - just a schoosh.

If I route dados for the miter slots, I can have the table exactly level I believe (or a tad lower). Don't want it any higher than the table saw though.

My garage floor has a slight downward angle. So, having a level table would not be complely level with the table saw. Having the table height adjustable at the 4 corners, I can compenstate for the floor, move the table when I need to align the saw (which is one of the reasons I don't care for a folding outfeed suport - too hard to do adjustments to the table top), use the inside for storage, and have an extra assembly table.

Is the table side going to be supported by the saw? If so, you can align that with the saw top without making it adjustable, and put standard leveling feet on the ends of the legs.

David what I have been doing for a while now (I have a 2 car garage as well) is to assemble the legs to the table each time I need to use it and then adjust it as needed. Its a pain in the you know what but for now its what I have to do until I can get some more space. I actually store my outfeed table top on top of the table saw when its not in use.

I have the Incra LS Table Saw Fence, so having an attached outfeed table interferes with the fence. I could attach one, but trying to keep it out of the way of the fence (which I remove often) would be a pain. Plus, having an attached outfeed table makes adjustments more of a pain (would have to remove it to get to the back of the saw).

So, was thinking of a seperate table on wheels that I can move around as needed, but that has a top that is height adjustable. This then also serves as a location to store some of the smaller power tools and as an extra assemply table.

Since the orginal post, I have found an idea of what whould work here. But, I am not sure how the table height screws are actually used in that example.

Why not attach the outfeed to the backside of the table and have it so it can fold away on the side?

This plan has a micro-adjust leg:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...splay?id=11184

I've seen these brackets used to make a folding outfeed table.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...648,43651&ap=1

Shop Notes 60

David,
    I more than likely have #60. I'll currently in San Antonio on business. I'll check over the weekend. If I have it I'll shoot you a PDF of the article.

Clint

David, I wouldn't worry myself excessively about having the outfeed table be exactly in the same plane as the saw table. It's not, practically speaking, possible to do anyway, given that your floor isn't a perfect plane, and it's also not necessary for accurate sawing.
    Like Cliff said, you want it to be just a tad lower than the saw table. It's irritating and dangerous for a board being ripped to bang into the outfeed table. If a board has even a very slight bow, and it's concave side down, it will hit the outfeed table if it's not low enough.

This is one way to get around the rear fence rail.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...=outfeed+table

Vic

Cool

David,
    I'm planning to eventually make something like the "Floating Table" that Jointech has for their fence system.

http://www.jointech.com/tablesaw_floating.htm

Extra sections of Incra rail can be bought on eBay if I make some like the Jointech tables, or I can just buy some extra rail attachment brackets from Incra and attach the table to the back rail using them. It may even be possible to use a Jointech Floating table on an Incra. I'll have to check that out at the next woodworking show I go to, but that won't be for a while.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 05-17-2007 at 12:52 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Winterhalter View Post
    David,
    I more than likely have #60. I'll currently in San Antonio on business. I'll check over the weekend. If I have it I'll shoot you a PDF of the article.

Clint
    Clint,
    I'd appreciate a PDF of that article as well. That table looks like a good project. Thanks.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps