Thread: Carrying wood working tools by air

Carrying wood working tools by air

I'm going on a trip later this summer and will likely have some time to do some wood carving/whittling while I'm there. I know I can't bring my knives and chisels in my carry on. But will the TSA have a fit when they see very sharp objects in my suitcase? I can pack them in a tool roll, but I fear opening it up on arrival and finding my edges messed up.

Another option would be to mail them ahead, but I'd rather avoid that hassle.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

John,
    You should be fine unless you try for carry on luggage, but to be safe, contact your airline of preference.
    David B

These items must go in checked luggage. TSA rules disallow tools like this in carry-on bags.

Alternatively, ship them via your favorite express carrier (FedEX, UPS, DHL, etc) to your destination and back home.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the "good old days" I used to travel with a back pack with a small tool kit in it... all handheld mechanic tools.... even a hammer & knife. On bigger jobs I had a hard case roll around tool box loaded with all kinds of mechanic & electrical "sutff". Ahh the life of a traveling service technician.. spending 75% of my year anywhere in North America other than home. Not such "good old days" in retrospect.
    John, one other thing to condsider is using a parcel carrier to ship your stuff in advance. Makes the suitcase much lighter, keeps the chances down of TSA pawing through your stuff (which is a guarantee if you have WW'ing tools in a checked bag).
    Last spring I installed new cabinets, countertop, sink, etc etc etc at my folks house @ 1500 miles from where I live. My dad had little for acceptable tools, so I shipped home(via UPS) about 75 lbs of my stuff.

Boy has everyone missed the obvious.

Buy new tools at your destination, then ship them home.

I would try packing them like firearms, in a locked TSA approved container, with your own lock. Then place that container INSIDE another piece of checked luggage with a TSA lock. Minimizes theft by the luggage monkeys, yet the TSA can xray and see what it is.

So long as it is in your checked luggage you will be fine.