Thread: Rockhard problems (HELP)

Rockhard problems (HELP)

Trying to finish a project it's a table top thats 11 feet long. I went with Rockhard for wear resistance. The problem is I keep getting bubbles in the finish. I started with 2 coats of SealCoat and sanded back with 240 Abranet. I wiped down with spirits between coats and let it stand for 1 hr. I have used the best brush i could get on this and even tried using a new brush between coats. The can sat on my shelve for months so is wasn't shaken up. I even added some reducer to stop the problem. Help???

I'm ready to sand it back and start with another type of finish.
    Let the wood speak!

2. Chuck,
    I thought I had every problem imaginable with Rock Hard, but bubbles aren’t one of them. I will admit to shaking the can, instead of stirring, and even then there weren’t any bubbles. The only thing I can think of is over brushing ( the varnish should be slowly flowed on and then tipped off holding the brush nearly vertical with only slight downward pressure), or the bubbles are being introduced when you scrape the excess varnish from the brush.

Rob Millard

Overbrushing is easy to do, and definitely can contribute to air bubbles. One stroke to put the finish on, one to get it where you want it, and one to smooth it out/tip it off. No more than that--there's no need to "work" a finish. If the brush feels like it's dragging, then you need to thin the material a bit more or add Penetrol (oil- and alkyd-based products) or Floetrol (waterborne products, but not all). Otherwise add the appropriate reducer until it does flow nicely. Take a clean, dry brush slowly across the unfinished surface--that's what it should feel like when you are putting on finish. It shouldn't feel like you are trying to put on Superglue.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore