Thread: New Leigh Dovetail Jigs

New Leigh Dovetail Jigs

I was at the Leigh site this morining & saw that they are comming out with a new line of lower cost dovetail jigs. They are the Leigh Super Jigs & come in 12", 18" & 24" sizes.

http://www.leighjigs.com/superjigs.php

Hmmmmmmmmmm...I can see the 18 incher in my future!!!
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Very cool. I was thinking of picking up a PC model in the near future as my first dovetail jig, but I might hold off a bit and see how these are.

Can any Leigh experts out there see what the differences are between these jigs and the more expensive Leighs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Can any Leigh experts out there see what the differences are between these jigs and the more expensive Leighs?
    Just what I was gonna ask, because if the more expensive ones have some useful features I will just save up longer to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    From what I read & comparing the new jig to the D4R. The fingers are one piece, the stops are not machined into the body. You will be able to cut the pins and tails of half blind dovetails at the same time. The non slip clamping surface is not machined in to the body, it is an add on.

Thumbs up

The body of the jig is not machined out of one piece of aluminum in the lower priced jigs like the D4R either helps to cut the total cost of the jig down. The fingers are made out of a different material than on the D4R also. The lower priced jigs are made of "cast" aluminum, where as the D4 model is made from one piece of "extruded" aluminum. Much stronger.
    Last edited by Denny Rice; 06-18-2007 at 1:14 PM.

I'm no expert with the Leigh Jigs, but I was invited to their product launch for the magazines so I have some early information. The new jigs are to be released at AWFS in July. We're waiting patiently for a model to test. In the meantime I wrote a blog entry about the jigs and my visit to Vancouver.

Read the entries here;
    http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...ly+Priced.aspx

Nice write up Glen.
    I have also enjoyed your books.